Connecting p-trap to old 1 1/2 inch steel pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm going to us a sch 80 nipple for a similar project soon.
1-1/2 inch tubular fits into schedule 40 but not into schedule 80.

While I'm waiting for it to arrive, another stupid question comes to mind. What can I use to hold the thing? I'll be damned if i can find even a picture of the end you hold it with while using it. ha! I have socket sets in every size, including 1/2 and 3/4 drive...but i'm guessing i'm going to need a wrench specific to this large tap?
So what are you connecting to? A square of some size such as 0.840 inch?

1.Locking pliers as MACPLUMB suggested
2.12-point socket of some unknown size maybe an inch or so?? Your big sockets are probably 6-point.
3.Adjustable wrench

Be careful to not cross-thread.

Reaction score
NO JUST A PAIR OF 440 CHANNEL LOCKS

Cresent wrench

So...THAT'S why
A pro would probably open the wall.

,,,and now I know
what i'd gain by opening it up.

:)

2.12-point socket of some unknown size maybe an inch or so?? Your big sockets are probably 6-point.

This is what I suppose I'll end up doing. I'll probably be back here soon to ask how to retrieve the tap when I drop in inside the wall. Ha!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Just dropping in to say "thanks" to everyone who helped me with this and to share some pictures of the finished job. Here's an album of photos of the finished bathroom. I was able to do everything by myself on this job, largely because of the help of all of you here.

Thanks!

redlands-09.jpg

redlands-08.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks