Recent content by Bens

1. Bens

Trouble brewing on waste line?

I had the chance to look up the wall at a galvanized vent which drops down to the first floor. I was surprised when I cut it on the first floor that some rust dropped out. It must have been from farther up the line as normally the steel is pristine in the vent pipes. I didn't see rust near where...
  2. Bens

Funny plumbing fail - advice on offset flange

Yeh - I knew that. Just used to thinking about things "above" the fixture and since this is all "under" it just didn't click. I will fix it, mister inspector! Although I will say this was how the vent takeoff was before... :)
  3. Bens

Well there she is, ladies and gents. Congrats to us all. Thanks!
  4. Bens

Yes! These are the types of tips I'm looking for. I kept avoiding large scale dry fitting because I know the pipes don't sit all of the way down the hub without glue and figured it would be too variable. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that you just undercut and measure from hub to hub...
  5. Bens

It's amazing that two weeks ago I wouldn't have found this very funny. Now it's freaking hilarious. :D Oh, and the toilet is level - it's a floor problem. I ain't coming out for a carpentry problem.
  6. Bens

Well, fail #2. I don't shy away from failing a project once but I don't think I have ever failed twice in a row. Disappointing! I tried to set it up like the pic below but wound up with a 45 degree straight run which was off by more than 3/4 inch. So I tried to cut it by the flange to have...
  7. Bens

Oh, gotcha! I misread your comment. This would be under Illinois plumbing code. <cue head shaking>
  8. Bens

There is only a sink with it's own vent going up to the next level and it empties into that same 4" stack.
  9. Bens

I'm not sure what you mean. The vent is existing because there was already a toilet there. It extends way up over the WC flood rim. It's a proper setup.
  10. Bens

Yes, waste from a floor higher than the toilet comes down that pipe. I have a nice 2" vent to connect to in the background which is existing, just have to know where acceptable places to attach are.
  11. Bens

Yeh, I had that thought I think it's what I'll try next. 1) Why a wye into the stack? Is the sanitary tee not supposed to be used in that position? 2) Note the line still needs a vent. Does it matter where it is located?
  12. Bens

Right, but the shielded ones have less play - makes it harder to fudge it a little. Is shielded required for above ground?
  13. Bens

It's good advice...I'm not sure that the closet bend will have clearance to sit inside of that notch in the joist - that's existing and I don't want to make it worse. But it's worth a try.
  14. Bens

I'm used to failing the first time through but this one wound up looking like such a noob job I had to share it. I knew it was bad as soon as it happened and just had to laugh. I cut the last piece and thought I could jam the flange with the street elbow together with the rest of the run in time...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks