Sump Pump Surger Protector?

Users who are viewing this thread

J.A.R.V.I.S.

Reaction score
I bought two of these little single outlet surge protectors, one for the primary sump pump, and one for the battery backup. Upon opening it, I noticed the sticker that says not for use with aquariums or other water-related products. Is there a type of surge protector that can be used with water-related products?

51MvJQvVanL._SL1000_.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm thinking that they don't want the liability if the thing fails, potentially killing everything in your aquarium should the filter, etc. were to stop working. ANd, being around water, the thing could be damaged if it got wetted. That part may or may not apply to your sump pump, depending on where it is.

Personally, I've installed a whole-home system in both my home and at my mother's house. This protects everything in the home from nearby lightning strikes, but probably nothing would for a direct one. I've not had any premature electrical failures in my home for decades, whereas some of my close neighbors have...I think that's because of the whole-house surge suppression installed in the power panel at the entrance. It's more than just plugging something in, but it is quite simple if you've got any related skills. If you don't feel comfortable, an electrician could install one probably for his minimum labor charge.

Mersen is well-known in the industrial world, but not so much in the consumer one, but I've found they had the best performance at a reasonably price.

J.A.R.V.I.S.

Reaction score
I'm thinking that they don't want the liability if the thing fails, potentially killing everything in your aquarium should the filter, etc. were to stop working. ANd, being around water, the thing could be damaged if it got wetted. That part may or may not apply to your sump pump, depending on where it is.

Personally, I've installed a whole-home system in both my home and at my mother's house. This protects everything in the home from nearby lightning strikes, but probably nothing would for a direct one. I've not had any premature electrical failures in my home for decades, whereas some of my close neighbors have...I think that's because of the whole-house surge suppression installed in the power panel at the entrance. It's more than just plugging something in, but it is quite simple if you've got any related skills. If you don't feel comfortable, an electrician could install one probably for his minimum labor charge.

Mersen is well-known in the industrial world, but not so much in the consumer one, but I've found they had the best performance at a reasonably price.
Yeah I wasn't sure if it was just a typcial CYA disclaimer, or if there was a legit reason. I'll look into a whole house surge protector, that's even better. thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
These little gadgets are for small electronic appliances, maybe small little motors for a water feature, etc. not large AC motors for well or sump pumps and other heavy inductive loads. These little devices can fail on a surge that is beyond its rating and they may open the circuit, therefore, you will have no power to your sump pump and not know it.

As jadnashuna suggest, use a whole house surge protector. You will need a two circuit breaker slots open to properly install one.

From the Bilken Spec
Belkin SurgeCube Surge Protector with 1 Outlet
  • Provides complete, 3-line AC protection for electronic devices
  • Features illuminated LEDS to alert you when devices are grounded and protected
  • Plugs directly into the wall to save space and prevent tangled cords
  • Circuit total joules: 885 Joules
  • Outlets: 1

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whatever you choose, the more joules it can absorb, the better. A second spec that can be important is the response rate. Some devices are rated to be able to dissipate thousands of joules and respond in nanoseconds.

There can be more than one source of surges in a home. Usually, the more damaging ones come from outside, often triggered by lightning. But, large motors/pumps, etc. in the home can also be sources of disruptions on your power lines.

Think of the solid state devices like what happens when chopping down a tree with an axe...you don't fell the tree with one chop, it takes multiple ones. So, those spikes and surges may not take out things on the first time, or the twentieth, but over time, or if large enough, will eventually. Thus, for best protection, one on the main panel, and others on high-value, or critical systems can be useful. In addition to the one I have on my main panel, I also have some protection on my TV, stereo, AV equipment, and computer. Maybe overkill, but IMHO, worth it. Before I put one in my mother's house, she lost her microwave and refrigerator with the same nearby lightning strike. Her AV stuff was on a surge protector as was her computer, so they did not see any effects (at least for the next few years).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks