Sodium levels after Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Hi. I’ve had two water tests done after new well was drilled.
Raw water 40.9 mg sodium in water
After softener 190 mg sodium in water??
Is this normal or is my softener shot?
Five year old Whirlpool 45,000 grains softener from Lowe’s
Regeneration about once a week Salt is sodium with rust remover. Do not have rust but big box store only carry this type
If I need a new softener what would be the Best one to buy?
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Raw water 40.9 mg sodium in water
After softener 190 mg sodium in water??
Is this normal or is my softener shot?
Normal. The softener replaces calcium, magnesium, iron, etc with sodium. That's its job.
Regeneration about once a week Salt is sodium with rust remover. Do not have rust but big box store only carry this type
If I need a new softener what would be the Best one to buy?
Probably a "48000 grain" softener with a 54x10 inch tank and a separate brine tank. A Fleck controller. Wait until time before picking that out. The existing one may last another 5 years or more.

How much iron and manganese are in your raw water? Was the inside of your toilet tank red with rust from the time before the softener?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A softener uses an Ion Exchange cation resin, the term Ion Exchange is important. The resin removes and replaces calcium and magnesium (and some other ions) with sodium. Can you post your entire water test?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks