Help sizing a well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Dann ward

Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to size for a new well pump and bids are all over the place I' have little info on the well itself I' so know its 399 feet deep and the top of the water is 65 feet below the cap I' believe I' have a 3/4 hp pump now but I only have 20psi of pressure and I'can't adjust it to any higher I' want to get 50 psi if I' can I' have a 5 bedroom house with water softener and filtration system I' also service a my farm off of this same well including watering animals and garden and greenhouse I' have never run this well dry I' even filled a 30ft round pool from the well can some one please help me in what pump I'should get . Thanks in advance

Reach4

Reaction score
filtration system
Tell us about the filtration system. Is it a backwashing system, and if so, what is the backwash rate?

If it is a cartridge system, any chance that one of your cartridges is clogged up? That seems unlikely to cause this low pressure symptom, since the gauge will be before a cartridge filter.

How far down is the pump, if you know? That would be relevant if you wanted the pump to be able to deliver some water if the water level fell down to the pump intake. On the other hand, there may be no danger that the well would fall 50 ft from its static level.

Last edited:

Dann ward

Reaction score
Tell us about the filtration system. Is it a backwashing system, and if so, what is the backwash rate?

If it is a cartridge system, any chance that one of your cartridges is clogged up? That seems unlikely to cause this low pressure symptom, since the gauge will be before a cartridge filter.

How far down is the pump, if you know? That would be relevant if you wanted the pump to be able to deliver some water if the water level fell down to the pump intake. On the other hand, there may be no danger that the well would fall 50 ft from its static level.
I have two cartridge filters I'm not sure of the pump depth I' would assume its about 20 feet or so from the bottom of the well

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking 3/4 HP 7 GPM would be good.
index.php

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your irrigation needs will dictate your pump choice. How many sprinklers do you want to run simultaneously? What a homeowner in Illinois thinks you need, may or may not be any where close to what you actually need.

Most residences only need a 5-7 gpm Pump for indoor use. That will only run one impact type sprinkler. We get less that 12” of precipitation per year where I live. Irrigation is mandatory here for a garden or yard. It is very seldom I install a pump that produces less than 15 gpm. A normal installation for me is a system that produces 15 to 50 gpm. But then, today’s installation was a 450 gpm 30 hp Pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks