Wrong fill valve in new Toto Drake 1.6gpf?

Users who are viewing this thread

NicG

Reaction score
I just bought and installed a Toto Drake CST744SG (C744EG bowl & ST743S tank), and was surprised to see it had a green fill valve in it instead of a blue one. From all the reading I've done on this forum, I was under the impression that the G-Max valves had a blue cover and the E-Max valves had a green cover. Both the tank markings and the label on the box list it as a ST743S which is the 1.6gpf G-Max tank for the Drake. Did the wrong fill valve get installed in the tank?

SamC

Reaction score
It might make a difference if the refill ratio is wrong. Pour water slowly in the bowl until it begins to go out the trapway. Let it settle, and put a temporary mark in the bowl where the water level ends up. Flush the toilet and watch to see if the refill brings the bowl level above or below the mark. If the refill ratio were perfect, it would bring the water to the exact same level. If the bowl is under-filled, the flush may not completely clear it. If it is over-filled, water is being wasted. Slight overfill is typical.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
What difference does it make as long as it fills the tank? The gpf rating is controlled by the rubber flapper, NOT the fill valve.

But the bowl fill level is controlled by the amount of water that is put down the overflow tube as the toilet is flushed.

If the bowl water level is fine then I probably wouldn't worry about it. The other guys will be able to tell you what the correct ratios are and how to test for them.

Some say that the Green Korky is the TSU26A (E-Max), TSU52A (Guinevere) or the TSU54A (for one piece toilets). But, if Terry says that it will work fine - you can take that to the bank.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst743s.pdf

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
That particular model of valve only comes in green. They will adjust the internal workings of it to expel the proper percentage refill, which in the case of GMAX Drake 1.6 is 40%. That's why it has numerical markings on the top: so they know what settings the valve has inside and can put the right valve in the right tank. If your toilet is working fine, I wouldn't sweat it. If you really want to test it, the proper way is to pour a couple of glasses of water slowly into the bowl after the toilet is finished refilling. It will temporarily rise in level, but it will then settle down as the excess water drips over the weir. If the settle level is meaningfully higher than the amount to which the valve refills it, maybe it's an issue. Most likely, however, you will find that the bowl refills more then to the settle level, which is as full as its going to get.

NicG

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. Toilet is working fine and bowl fill stops at the correct time. I was more just curious why it was green as it wasn't what I was expecting to see. The valve does create a pretty bad water hammer when it shuts off which the white top Korky 528 in the old toilet didn't. I presume swapping in a Korky MaxPerformance 528MP would likely fix the water hammer yes?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Korky valve does shut off 'smoother' and can make a difference. Often, though, if the hammering is pronounced, it may be an indication that your static water pressure may be excessive. Also, make sure that the shutoff valve is open fully. It might be prudent to check the pressure. Code says it should not exceed 80psi in a residential setting, and if higher, needs to be regulated. For about $15, you can buy a gauge with a hose bib connection on it. Attach to say the washing machine supply, or an outside hose, or the water heater drain (be careful it WILL get hot!). Get one with a second, peak reading hand and leave it attached for 24-hours. Pressure often changes overnight as people stop using water and they pump water into towers, etc., so a single, static reading may not show you as much as you really need to know.

NicG

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all the info. And thanks to Terry for the website and the toilet reviews, it really pointed me in the right direction when picking out a new toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks