Where do you buy your stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Flapper

Reaction score
I am just wondering where the people of this community, professionals and "DIYers", usually buy their plumbing stuff.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pro's buy at the whole sale houses. The only stuff I get at Lowes and Home Depot are tools.
I think the homeowners have fewer options. The home centers do have staff on hand to answer questions.
The wholesale places have plumbing trucks lined up and can't spend time explaining and being salesmen. They supply their big customers that need their product to go.
There have been months where I'm spending $40,000.00 at just one place. And I'm in a hurry.

Last edited:

jeffesonm

Reaction score
DIY guy here...

I buy stuff online, at Home Depot/Lowes and at my local plumbing supply house.

Big things like fixtures and stuff where I can plan ahead, I buy online. Overall you just get things way cheaper online, and 10% or 20% makes a big difference if you're buying a bathroom's worth of fixtures (sink, toilet, shower trim, etc) supplyhouse.com has very reasonably priced pipe fittings and gives you free shipping over $100 I think. Typically if I have the foresight I will plan out a project in detail and then place a big order with them for everything I think I might need.

Inevitably I forget stuff, change plans, etc, and hit up Home Depot or the local supply house. Or if I'm doing a project piecemeal I will do the same. Home Depot is cheaper than my local supply house but the benefit of the supply house is the guys there know their shit, and are willing to give you some generally really helpful advice. You can't go in there like "how do I install a boiler?" but if you say "I need x y z a b c because I'm installing a boiler" they might say "don't forget the low water cutoff, that's code around here."

I was just talking about all this to a buddy of mine and he recommended next time I'm in the supply house, just say I'm a homeowner doing a lot of renovations, ask to setup an account, and always pay cash. He said he gets a discount on products and materials that brings the price closer to Home Depot in which case the small premium is absolutely worth the advice you get.

Flapper

Reaction score
DIY guy here...

I buy stuff online, at Home Depot/Lowes and at my local plumbing supply house.

Big things like fixtures and stuff where I can plan ahead, I buy online. Overall you just get things way cheaper online, and 10% or 20% makes a big difference if you're buying a bathroom's worth of fixtures (sink, toilet, shower trim, etc) supplyhouse.com has very reasonably priced pipe fittings and gives you free shipping over $100 I think. Typically if I have the foresight I will plan out a project in detail and then place a big order with them for everything I think I might need.

Inevitably I forget stuff, change plans, etc, and hit up Home Depot or the local supply house. Or if I'm doing a project piecemeal I will do the same. Home Depot is cheaper than my local supply house but the benefit of the supply house is the guys there know their shit, and are willing to give you some generally really helpful advice. You can't go in there like "how do I install a boiler?" but if you say "I need x y z a b c because I'm installing a boiler" they might say "don't forget the low water cutoff, that's code around here."

I was just talking about all this to a buddy of mine and he recommended next time I'm in the supply house, just say I'm a homeowner doing a lot of renovations, ask to setup an account, and always pay cash. He said he gets a discount on products and materials that brings the price closer to Home Depot in which case the small premium is absolutely worth the advice you get.

Thanks, I'm most interested in where the DIY's buy their stuff.
Someone mentioned supplyhouse.com and I explored them; their ball valves are so cheap! It's good if you are buying a lot of stuff, over $100. I don't know what the shipping costs usually are, so it might not be good for checkouts under $100.
Are physical supply houses usually more expensive than big box stores?

MKS

Reaction score
I buy at a local plumbing supply house when possible. I expect to pay more than the plumbing contractor. In theory as a diy your saving significant money.
Doing so if I reasonably communicate what I need they know what it is and bring it out. No looking through rearranged and pilfered bins in a big box store. If I have a question they are receptive. Even the pros are friendly there. Plus they have been here for forty years plus.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
Are physical supply houses usually more expensive than big box stores?

Usually, because their quality is better. BB stores cater to the "lowest price" shopper.

Themp

Reaction score
16 years ago I bought a Wilkens 70 PRV valve at my local plumbing supply store. Just last week I went back with my actual invoice from that time and ask for the same so it would be easier to swap out. Turns out they do not carry that model anymore as the cheaper plastic bell housing version is sold that is PEX on both ends. It was cheaper than what I paid at that time. I ended up having to buy the exact model online as not one plumbing supply house in my city carried the Wilkens 70 XL that I was looking for.

I always enjoy the local plumbing supply store as the whole place is the 'salt of the earth'.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lots of growth in this area in the last couple of decades. The plumbing supply houses are still sitting in the same spot. Going to a supply house may mean adding another 30 miles or more to my already 80-100 mile day. So, if I need a fill valve, wax ring, etc, etc, I would have to drive past maybe 2 or up to 6 home centers to get there. Guess what?

Flapper

Reaction score
Lots of growth in this area in the last couple of decades. The plumbing supply houses are still sitting in the same spot. Going to a supply house may mean adding another 30 miles or more to my already 80-100 mile day. So, if I need a fill valve, wax ring, etc, etc, I would have to drive past maybe 2 or up to 6 home centers to get there. Guess what?
You shop at the big box stores? :D

Themp

Reaction score
I retired last year and thought that Home Depot and Lowes would be empty on weekdays. Not so, the parking lot is full of commercial folks. It is a totally different feel than on the weekends or evenings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks