Well/pump decisions for redeveloping an old farmstead

Users who are viewing this thread

LezlieInIowa

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Until I came across this forum I had no clue the new-fangled constant pressure well/pump systems wear out so quickly. I have some major decisions to make in the next 2 weeks about which way to go on my new well and home, and it's a lot to digest and figure out. Any thoughts and input would be appreciated.

SITREP: I've lived rural since 1982, in NorCal and in NE IA, the last few yrs here in south central IA in a crappy apt. My new home is in far northeast IA region, an abandoned 3 acre farmstead being redeveloped now. Everything will be brand new. Just me living there, a 16 x 80 ft, 2018 show-model manufactured home going in, with my cats and some chickens. I use water conservatively. It gets down to -35 deg F at times in Winter. The well will be 180-200 ft deep, don't know high the water will be inside the well and pump-depth, but it's plentiful and the land around my new place is pretty level. The well will be about 100 ft from the home. All of "my guys" are experienced, local contractors who know each other and often worked on the same projects, most grew up in the area, and have excellent local reputations. Every contractor I've hired/lined up was recommended by multiple native locals. (It's the only reason I go to the tiny town's bar/grill when I've been up there getting things rolling - getting to know folks and get reliable, local knowledge!) If they did shoddy work, installed problematic systems, they would have been out of business long ago, or I'd be steered elsewhere.

I'm familiar with the traditional well/pump/pressure tank system from my hobby farm in NorCal, built with my own hands. My first 1900-built farm home in NE IA was funky. Well was just 56 ft deep, not even 10 ft from the house, the water was exquisite and plentiful. Had a steel, slanted, above-ground pipe from wellhead that went thru the stone cellar wall to a huge ancient pressure tank in it. There was a drain valve in the pipe inside the well casing; in theory, in Winter, the pipe would drain empty after the pump shut off, so no heated wellhouse around it was needed. Totally bogus! Every Winter we had a frozen wellhead at least twice, thawing it was a nightmare, we could go days without water if we couldn't get it thawed, and we replaced that drain valve several times each Winter. Rather, my ex-husband did, because I would have changed some things around if it'd been up to me!

I'm on my own now. I get to make the decisions. But there's a fairly tight construction budget, and my monthly utility budget is tight. I'd never heard of the constant pressure system before. My bulldozing/excavator/septic contractor told me about it when the pressure tank/heated wellhouse topic came up 3 weeks ago. In theory it's perfect for my new place. If I go with the traditional well/pump/pressure tank I have just one option: a 50 deg F heated wellhouse with the tank and above-ground pipes associated with it. That's 6 mos/yr of propane to heat it, building and insulating that wellhouse, trenching, running that gasline to it from the propane tank. There's no room inside my manufactured home for even a 30-gal pressure tank, and it's going to be on frost piers with steel skirting, so no 50 deg basement for a tank.

The well driller recommended a busy, very reputable plumbing contractor to handle the pump/tank end of things. When I spoke to him about this option today, he told me the constant pressure systems are 95% of what he puts in now, and there's enough options for smaller components, even a wall-mounted tank, that we'll be able to find a workable space for it in my new home.

Ballpark $5,500 for everything, installed, the constant pressure system is about $1 to $1.5 k more than the traditional system. That modestly-higher cost would be eaten up in propane pretty quickly for a heated wellhouse and the traditional pressure tank. But, if this new-fangled stuff goes bad as quickly and as often as you all say they do, or can, then I need to re-think my choices/options, as those repairs and replacements add up quickly, too. None of these contractors are the kind to make a snide comment about making more $ off things that wear out fast and break down a lot, so I'm not worried I'm being" sold a bill of goods" dishonestly.

What would you guys do? Or what would be your biggest concerns/issues? Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
They may not "make a snide comment about making more $ off things that wear out fast", but that is exactly what they are doing. That is why 95% of what he does is constant pressure pumps. If he has been selling those for a while, he probably thinks replacing pumps or variable speed controllers every few months or years is normal, and doesn't realize pumps should last 30-40 years without problems. The installers are being taught this stuff by the pump manufacturers, who specifically make things with planned obsolescence as a top priority. They make the installer think variable speed pumps are the latest and greatest things. They claim energy savings, and they don't. They claim slow starts make pumps last longer, which is ridiculous. The only good things about variable speed pumps is that they deliver constant pressure and allow the use of much smaller pressure tanks. They have been trying for 30+ years to solve the problems of variable speed pumps, and mother nature always knocks them back. There are just too many problems with variable speed pumps that go against the laws of physics and can never be solved. They have gotten better at band aiding things like harmonics, voltage spikes, resonance frequency vibration, reflective waves, etc., but they will never be able to change the laws of physics and actually solve these problems. These are just a few of the inherent problems that exist when you try to vary the speed of a pump.

Believe me they are pushing the variable speed "constant pressure pumps" BECAUSE they make more money that way, not because it is going to save you money or last longer. This is even more true in areas with fewer people. It is more profitable for a pump man to push expensive VFD equipment on the few customers he has and be able to work on them more often, than to wish for more people to move in and increase his business.

If a pump man were trying to save you money and give you the best system, he would not be pushing VFD pumps. You can get the same constant pressure performance and ability to use a small tank without varying the pump speed and shortening the pumps life. We have been replacing VFD pump systems with Cycle Stop Valves for over 25 years. But CSV's don't cost much, they last a long time, work with a small tank, and make the pump system last a long time. The CSV is what pump manufacturers call a "disruptive product", because it knocks them out of so much money. Of course the pump man is not going to tell you about or say anything good about a CSV, no more than the guy at the gas station would tell you about a fuel additive that could make any car get 100 MPG. When you find out about a "disruptive product", they will do or say anything they can to talk you out of using it.

The old pressure tank only method is still much more reliable than those variable speed "constant pressure pumps". The only problem with the old pressure tank method was pump cycling and space. And now that you can simply add a CSV to a regular and dependable pressure tank only system, the cycling problem has been eliminated, making pressure tank controlled systems even more reliable while being able to use a smaller tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Variable speed pumps can be so confusing even the installer and suppliers don't know how they work. They just know they make a lot of money with them. Here are a couple of videos that show some of the problems with VFD's. I will bet your pump man doesn't know this stuff, and probably can't even understand what is being discussed. If you notice every pump company is pushing their own version of constant pressure pumps or VFD's. They are spending so much advertising this stuff because they make a LOT of money on it, not because it will save you money. Many will even get angry when you mention a Cycle Stop Valve. They don't want you to have something inexpensive and that will last for decades.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks