Well Pump Concerns

Users who are viewing this thread

Weaselpolooza

Reaction score
I just purchased a house that has an interesting pump system. The well is drilled approx 6 ft off the house. Underneath my house is the pump and the pressure tank. The line running from the pump to the well is 2" and it has a 3/4"-1" line inside of it. What is this?

The only reason I checked my pump is because it kicks on as soon as water is turned and it is extremely loud (can be heard throughout entire house). Also I am not happy with the water pressure.

Can someone give some info on the pros and cons to this type of system and possibly some advise on how to address my issues?

Thank-you

Speedbump

Reaction score
It's called concentric piping. It's code in Michigan and several other states. It's done to protect the suction line from contamination in the event of a small leak.

Jet pumps have never been known for their stinging shower ability. You might be able to tell us if the pump bolts to the cast iron gadget at the end of the pipe or if it has just one pipe going to the pump and it's not the two inch.

bob...

Weaselpolooza

Reaction score
Thank-you for your reply,

The line from the well (line within a line) connects to a cast iron assembly of some sort (first the smaller line then the large line over top of it) and the assembly then bolts on to the pump

Speedbump

Reaction score
You have a deep well system. There is a jet in the well that should be matched to your pump and water level. Going with a larger pump will help the pressure some and getting the bearings changed should make the pump quiet again. Or just go bigger and forget the bearings.

Never buy a plastic pump, they are noisy out of the box.

bob...

Weaselpolooza

Reaction score
What do you mean by go bigger? Right now I believe there is a 3/4 hp motor driving the pump head. Will a bigger motor help?

Weaselpolooza

Reaction score
You mentioned that there is a jet in the well to match my pump. If I go with a larger pump will I need to replace the jet as well?

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you want the full benefit of a larger pump; yes.

It may not be necessary to get the desired effect though. Try the pump first. Remember, the well has to be able to supply the extra water this new pump will want. Maybe it's the well all along and not the pump that is giving you the low pressure. I'm not trying to be cynical, just informative.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks