Wax Rings Are Too Small or Too Big

Users who are viewing this thread

tesla

Reaction score
When the toilet flange is flush with the floor it seems that 2 wax rings might be too much and 1 ring might be too little. Which would be the better solution? Also, are 2 standard wax rings the equivalent of 1 number 10 ring? In addition, I have a number 10 wax ring with the horn. Anyone ever remove the plastic horn from the wax successfully and used the wax ring?

ShockHazard

Reaction score
I always use the extended size aftermarket types, and throw the stock one away.
If you used two, theres a risk one would simply split and you wouldn't know about it for months.

I still don't know why we use these primitive contraptions.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
When the toilet flange is flush with the floor it seems that 2 wax rings might be too much and 1 ring might be too little. Which would be the better solution? Also, are 2 standard wax rings the equivalent of 1 number 10 ring? In addition, I have a number 10 wax ring with the horn. Anyone ever remove the plastic horn from the wax successfully and used the wax ring?

2 standard is more or less a #10.

Don't try to remove the horn.

More is better. Unless it's grossly too much, it'll just squish around the base. With the flange level with the floor, go with the 2.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you say the flange is flush with the floor, I take that to me the flange is slightly recessed into the finished floor. If that is the case there are a couple of ways to deal with the problem. First, use 2 standard size wax rings. the top ring can be the funnel type. A single jumbo thick ring would likely be OK, and a waxless seal would also be OK. Don't try to save $5 or so by removing a funnel from a wax ring.

tesla

Reaction score
When you say the flange is flush with the floor, I take that to me the flange is slightly recessed into the finished floor. If that is the case there are a couple of ways to deal with the problem. First, use 2 standard size wax rings. the top ring can be the funnel type. A single jumbo thick ring would likely be OK, and a waxless seal would also be OK. Don't try to save $5 or so by removing a funnel from a wax ring.

The flange is not on top of the floor but is flush with the floor since the tile was tiled around it.

I'm unable to find anywhere a jumbo ring without the plastic horn. Fluidmaster and Oatie and another did not have one listed on their website either.

Is their no concern about too much wax oozing into the waste pipe?

So if 2 rings are the ideal in my situation it would be first standard ring would be rounded side down on the flange, 2nd standard ring with horn on top of that with flat side down on the flat side of first ring. That about right?

Another question regarding shims. I understand you dry set the bowl without wax and determine if it needs to be shimmed and place the shims. Are you guys leaving the shims on the floor when you reposition the bowl onto the wax? Don't the shims move out of position?

tesla

Reaction score
Another issue has come up. The flange is uneven with a rise to the right. Not a big issue except for the floor is unlevel with a rise to the left which has caused this.....
20130303_163421

See how much the level is elevated over the floor on the right side compared to the left. If I drop the bowl down without shims, it is planted with very little rock to it If I shim the bowl to level it, it has a large gap on the right and tends to rock unless I shim 3 points and also appears to be elevated more so over the sewer pipe.
20130303_162314

Any ideas? Also, can I take a bit of wax off another wax ring and build it up to take up the space on the unlevel flange if I should need to do so?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When the flange is high like that, you may want to use a single wax without horn.
I would rather see that bowl on the floor then on shims.

If you feel you need more wax, you can cut and paste. (I mean just squish more wax on)

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If I ever shim a bowl that rocks, it's at the back pinning the front of the bowl to the floor.

I don't worry too much about side to side or if the floor slopes. I would rather have the bowl on the floor without gaps.

We did install a bowl the other week with a horrible slope on the tile floor with a bend to it. I shimmed and told the tile guy to do his grout thing on it. Not a nice looking job.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on how out of level the floor is...if it's not too much, just set the toilet and don't worry about the toilet being slightly out of level. If you sit on it, and it feels funny, then it's time to shim it level.

tesla

Reaction score
Want to thank you guys for your help. I wound up putting the bowl down without shims and it is solid with no rocking. However, it is unlevel by 1/4 inch.

Thanks again. This is got to be the most helpful and friendly forum that I've experienced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks