Water pressure & PRV ?

Users who are viewing this thread

web_surfer

Reaction score
In past posts on this forum I believe the general consensus is that a PRV is not needed if water pressure is under 80psi.

A couple of months ago the new copper plumbing was completed - all type L. 1" from meter to water heater & 3/4" after that to various locations that then divide off into 1/2" for individual fixtures. Used soldered on Nibco ball valves. Also, based on reading this forum the weak points are the connections to fixtures, faucets, etc. Fixture connections are made using Nibco Pro-Stop 1/4 turn compression valves & Watts stainless braided hoses (not the FloodSafe hoses).

With the new plumbing in place the pressure is right around 76±psi, with peaks up to 85± psi. Have a pressure gauge installed in line right after the meter. City says this is normal.

Given this information would it be a good idea to install a PRV & expansion tank? I am leaning towards it - would be more comfortable with pressure in 50 - 60 psi range.

Any suggestions as to a good quality, reliable PRV?

Thanks,
Matt

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you have answered your own question except for brand.:D I have my PRV set at 50 psi and for me, that's plenty of pressure. As far as brand is concerned, Watts seems to be pretty popular, others may want to push another brand, I wouldn't quibble with them. Don't forget with the addition of a PRV you will need an expansion tank sized for your home. You might consider adding a plumbed-in pressure gauge after the PRV so you can easily set the PRV pressure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Code here requires PRV over 80 PSI
60 to 70 feels okay with use.
I grew up with 72

Watts is a good brand.
But there are others too.

If you do install the PRV, then you will need the expansion tank, which I like to have anyway.
They cushion the water pressure a bit.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are in California, better buy one right now, because after Jan. 1 it will have to comply with ultra low lead, and they are 50% $$more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks