Troubleshooting low pressure issue with sprinkler zones

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe V

Reaction score
As spring approaches in Texas, I decided to check on the sprinkler zones to see how they were performing. I noticed that the heads in all zones were struggling to pop up, indicating a pressure issue. To investigate further, I connected a pressure meter to one of the outside faucets and observed it showing 44 psi. Last summer, I had to increase the pressure to 60 psi to ensure proper sprinkler function, so I adjusted the PRV valve to raise the pressure to 62 psi. However, this adjustment didn't make any difference, and I also observed the pressure dropping to 20 psi when a sprinkler zone was activated, which was unusual.

To troubleshoot, I turned off all the zones and the water supply to the home, then opened the master valve to allow water flow to the main line supplying all the zone valves. I monitored the city water meter for any signs of water movement to detect potential leaks in the sprinkler main lines, but there was no indication of a leak, which was a positive sign.

Considering these observations, I am now wondering if the issue lies with the PRV, which is 12 years old and came with the home when it was built. It is a Watts LFN45B-M1 valve. Do you agree with my diagnosis that the PRV needs replacement, or is there something else I should consider?

Thank you.

Joe V

Reaction score
It is buried in the ground. Let's say I dig ground and get to the PRV. Is there a special tool to unscrew the black top thingy?
I probably should buy rebuild cartridge on the side if the guts are beyond repair.

Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can buy a 1 inch regulator identical for 65 bucks might find a kit for that price. you dindnt say what size the bigger repair kits are 105 bucks the 1 1/4 regulator is around 160 bucks plus tax. the last 2 I changed were from 08 or 9 screens were clear

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks