water level drop

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Dec 25, 2011.

1. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    One of the advantages of taking a workshop is that you get to actually touch and see the product, while we did each get a chance to install a pan and regular drain, we only got to touch and feel and see one of the instructors install a linear drain (probably a cost thing, and time). But, they opened up two or three boxes to show the center drain, the offset drain, and then one each of the various drain covers so we could look and hold and see how they were installed. The finished grates get installed differently than the tile-in grate cover, and we got to see how to adjust the finished grates and body so that the tile were at their proper level. With the tile-in cover, it's easier, since whatever thickness tile you use is the same on both the cover and the surround. If you've never taking one of their workshops and are in the business (tile setter, store owner, general contractor, architect, building maintenance, or others as approved by the area rep), you should. Seeing someone who knows how to use new products do it once and then get a chance to immediately try yourself is much better than winging it by yourself for the first time. Schluter runs about 40 of these across the country a year, but, it is a big country, so you may still have to travel a bit to get to one. The first step, though, is to talk to your area rep.

2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD for both Canada & the US

Design Work World Wide: Bathrooms Vancouver Area
    Plastic.

That's a nice touch. Won't the Thermal Mass of the Plastic fatigue with the cycling of hot and cold water? Or is the plastic special German Plastic that is molecularly designed for thermal stresses.....

LOL

3. eurob

eurob master tile and stone installer

master tile and stone installer
    Oh , John , c'mon ....not again .

I don't want to know , nor I am interested to know how the S drain was born LOL

I don't care about the plastic thinggeeee .....is not in the box ........I really do like the ACO strainer .

We also past the strainer -- touch and see -- through some hands in the room there .... the vendor , the cashier , me......Hahahahaha.

Now , send the tile police after me since I don't use the S products as intended . Am I out of my mind -- design my own grate -- not to respect -- to the Tee -- the recommendations from the package -- not one language , not 2 books , but 3 different surplus items !? --

4. johnfrwhipple

English Question

Roberto do you have the plastic hair strainer?

I'd like to buy it. Just for my own research.

Want to compare flow rates and molecular structure of the water particles passing through the vortex of the concave design. In Ancient Greece they used woven non-modifed grape vines for the first hair strainer. Later the Egyptians used reeds bonded and dried in the sun to catch hair before it enter the Nile.

I'll go as high as $4.00 for your plastic strainer.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  5. johnfrwhipple

In French

Roberto avez-vous la crépine de cheveux en plastique?

Je voudrais acheter. Juste pour mes propres recherches.

Vouloir comparer des débits et de la structure moléculaire des particules d'eau passant à travers le vortex de la conception concave. Dans la Grèce antique, ils ont utilisé tissés vignes non modifed pour la première crépine de cheveux. Plus tard, les Egyptiens roseaux utilisés collés et séchés au soleil pour attraper les cheveux avant d'entrer dans le Nil.

Je vais aller aussi haut que 4,00 $ pour votre strainer.Roberto plastique vous avez la crépine de cheveux en plastique?

6. johnfrwhipple

In Spanish

Roberto ¿tienes la trampa de pelo de plástico?

Me gustaría comprarlo. Sólo por mi propia investigación.

¿Quieres comparar las tasas de flujo y la estructura molecular de las partículas de agua que pasa a través del vórtice del diseño cóncavo. En la antigua Grecia se utilizaron tejidos vides de uva no modifed por primera trampa de pelo. Más tarde, los egipcios utilizaban cañas unidas y se secan al sol para coger el pelo antes de que entre en el Nilo.

Voy a ir tan alto como $ 4.00 para su strainer.Roberto plástico tiene usted la trampa de pelo de plástico?

7. ShowerDude

ShowerDude Showers

I always mix MFG products, orange , blue, green all of em. Whatevers in my trunk that day. How else can i claim to have built a custom shower?

8. eurob

John , I would give it to you for free , but it is not there -- poking you -- in the box . I should've read the instructions .....I think I will call Erich von Däniken .

Oh man , we need more smilies LOL:D

C'est beaucoup plus chere une crepine ....comme ça

[video=youtube;pMNKUXnzFyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMNKUXnzFyY[/video]

9. johnfrwhipple

You wanna see the lifting key I got with my Kerdi Line Drain?

It looks like a toilet cleaning brush... LOL

JW

10. Vegas_sparky

Vegas_sparky Digital Billy

Electrician
    Roberto, that is one of the coolest shower/ tile designs I've seen. Bravo, man.

11. eurob

:) Thanks , William. :)

12. johnfrwhipple

Vegas how is your shower working?

Did you do the testing with the grate off?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2016
  13. johnfrwhipple

14. Jean-Claude JC Lussier

Jean-Claude JC Lussier New Member

Thanks!

15. Jean-Claude JC Lussier

It is the schluter shower kit surrounded by a custom bench on 2 sides. The floor is using the schluter floor pan.

16. Jean-Claude JC Lussier

The original water line was in in fact just 1/4" below the top of the curb. The water was about 5" deep.

17. johnfrwhipple

I would run a bead of Kerdi Fix along the top of the curb. Or top the curb with a little Ardex 8+9. Either would act like a capillary break for the flood test.

If your using a tile profile for the curb top you could set that with Kerdi fix and that would be an awesome capillary break. If you are setting 3/8" tile I recommend a 1/2" or 5/8" Stainless steel profile. This will allow some setting material below and account for the grading of the curb.

18. johnfrwhipple

Jean Claude - I hope my tips help you out. You do realize that Schluter has no specification for a capillary break. They require flood testing but offer up no insight for this capillary leaking.

I don't think Noble has a spec either.

Nor does Laticrete.

Yet all will suffer from the same fate unless you tackle the capillary beast. Thanks for liking my post. I'm sure Jim will respond and tell you my idea is crazy. Not allowed. That your warranty will be screwed or to double check on the John Bridge forum.

But those ya who's don't know either.

I had the pictures up before but deleted my Kerdi info....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2016
  19. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Capillary action requires a pond of water. Once you put your tile on top and grout it, the amount of liquid water that gets underneath the tile is miniscule and over a membrane, if your slope is proper, that that does not flow down the drain on top of the tiled surface and soaks in will evaporate before it gets a chance to wick anywhere it could cause damage. But, if your slopes are incorrect, you could have an issue.