Water hammer-Clunk

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by snowbird0103, May 23, 2006.

1. snowbird0103

snowbird0103 New Member

I have a toilet in the Master bath that has a clunk(pipe rattle) after the tank is full and shuts off :confused: . It has a flowmaster 400a and I cleaned it to be sure there was no restriction. The inlet valve is open all the way. If I partially close the inlet there is no clunk but there is water hammering. The toilet 19 years old.
    Will I have to cut a hole in the wall behind the inlet pipe and secure the pipe better? Or do I need to replace the inlet valve?
    Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  2. lmoyer

lmoyer New Member

I have had the same problem and found the fix to be replacing the fluidmaster value in the tank with a Korky value fix the problem. They do not cause water hammer.
  3. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

clunk

Start by chainging the ballcock......
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

clunk

Go to HD and buy a Fluidmaster replacement cap and snap it on in place of your old one. But first observe your Fluidmaster when the clunk occurs. If the upper portion "jumps up" when it clunks then you need a new valve.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can repair the Fluidmaster, but if you want less hammer, put in the Korky Quietfill.