Waste pipe trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

ttraversnj

Reaction score
Hello, Here goes: Purchased a home in Florida a few months ago. It was built in 1958. After being there for a few days the toilet backed up do to a flushed sanitary napkin. I called a drain guy with a camera and it turns out my waste pipe is only 3 inches in diameter and there's a low spot maybe 6 ft from the base of the toilet. I had the line jetted because it was not in great shape and for the next few months everything has been fine so long as just toilet paper was flushed. A few weeks ago someone put a paper napkin down there and it clogged again. I have a 1.6 toilet on there now. I also have a 3.5 gallon toilet that I can put on there. Would I benefit from putting the 3.5 gallon toilet on there or maybe a 5 gallon? I know with a three inch line there might be an overkill point. I know the best way would to be to dig a new line and I might in the future but I have to live with this for now and want to know if the increased gallonage will work or maybe buy a new toilet that uses another technology.... When I'm there, I can handle a clog now and then. It's an easy snake job. The problem is I might rent the place out in the future and I don't want any problems. I know people won't listen and will flush all sorts of stuff down there..... Thanks, Tom

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
3" drains better than a 4" as far as flow goes. Are you sure you're not just plugging the bowl?
I would consider maybe a new toilet with a 3" flush valve on it to swoosh things down. The old 3.5's had kind of a slow flush anyway.

ttraversnj

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I forgot to mention that the drain guy pointed out the low spot where things can easily held up. We could see on the camera the paper from the flush get held up there. It looked like a second flush was needed to move it on down. But you're right. It was only those two times. But that was i told my family Only toilet paper...Renters will definitely screw it up......I was thinking i needed a more powerful flush and more Gpf would do that. It couldn't hurt could it?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the drain pipe in a crawl space where you could support the belly in the pipe?

ttraversnj

Reaction score
I wasnt that lucky..No crawl space. Its on a slab... With a beautiful Saltillo tile floor above it. The toilet is on the back wall of the house. I could go through the back if i had to , break up my concrete patio and put a new line in. Instead of destroying the tile floor. But I'd rather not do any of that if i dont have to...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks