Washer P-Trap conundrum

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Ulrik Binzer, May 19, 2011.

1. Ulrik Binzer

Ulrik Binzer New Member

I recently had a plumber redo my plumbing for my shower, tub and washer closet which are adjacent to each other. Unfortunately the guy did not put in a p-trap for the washer as required by the California Code and the challenge is now how to fit in a trap given the tight space and other pipes in the area. I have attached a picture with some measures to give you an idea about the current setup and constraints and would appreciate any and all creative suggestions for how to bring this up to CA code.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Your "plumber" ran the washer into the tub vent, therefore siphoning the tub trap every time the washer drains, and now the tub vent, which combines with the washer drain is open and allows sewer gas out into the home.

Someone needs to go below the floor, and add a wye and second line up for the washer. The vent for the tub and the vent for the washer (assuming you add a p-trap this time) can reconnect above the washer box.

It looks nice, but it's completely wrong.
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Your "plumber" is not a plumber. At best he is a handyman and not a very good one at that.
  4. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

Hay he did beautiful work, its all wrong, but it looks good. Again it is wrong and needs to be redressed. Need to have a trap on the laundry line, ect...
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

This is a good example of someone who believes that "as long as it works it doesn't make any difference HOW it is installed". Your "plumber", in the words of Benny Hill, is NOT what he is, just what he calls himself. He did it the "easy way", and there is really NO easy way to do it correctly.