Want a Toilet that Just Works!

Users who are viewing this thread

pearlbluevtx

Reaction score
From what I can read and research so far, it looks like you (Terry) recommends a Toto Drake or UltraMax toilet. I can't find the "UltraMax" toilets on the Toto web site except for the ECO - and maybe I haven't searched enough yet plus I think the Toto website was down or experiencing some really slow speeds.

Nevertheless... I'm getting ready to head over to a local supply shop and look at Toto. I was going to look at Home Depot / Lowes and see which Kohler or American Standard might do the trick with their advertised golf ball flushers but you professionals/experts think highly of Toto so I want to visit them.

If my requirements are:

- Flush anything (you know what I mean) - I'm frustrated with builder grade mansfields that I keep pumping on a daily basis b/c of boys/children in my home stopping them up!

- easy to clean (or as much as we can improve it) - boys pee all over them, stop them up, then I un-stop them and make messes then my wife cleans them. It's a never ending cycle of yuck.

The unstopping of the toilets has been my main issue; however, my wife complains whenever she cleans the boy's bathroom(s) and I know it's disgusting so cleaning is a huge deal too.

Based on the above 'criteria', would the Toto Drake and Toto UltraMax be the two models that you would recommend?

Or, when I look at the TOTO web site, they have all sorts variables that I can search on and what should be my priorities?

I'd have to check the ADA out and see if that would be too tall for my younger children... but that will be something I need to check out.

Also, is there special plumbing requirements that I need to consider? (I'm ignorant on this ... have no clue). House is 5 yrs old approx so not sure what they plumbed it in with etc.

TIA! Excellent source of info... appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto make all kinds as you have observed. IMHO, the basic Toto Drake elongated ADA is the best toilet made. An elongated toilet is preferred by men for rather obvious reasons. ADA height is approximately the same a dining room chair and certainly makes standing up easier for us older folks.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Actually the Toto Gwyneth, ADA height, is the best toilet made. Comes in one-piece, and has great bowl wash. Right now a bargain -

pearlbluevtx

Reaction score
@ SteveW (Thank you)

so what are the differences with these two models except pricing?
then, what should I get between these?

Gwyneth™ Two-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF CST454CEF

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetai...SearchId=f96c270a-2530-4f10-a42a-bb7617d75096

Gwyneth™ Two-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF - SanaGloss® CST454CEFG

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetai...SearchId=f96c270a-2530-4f10-a42a-bb7617d75096

Gwyneth™ Toilet, 1.28 GPF with SanaGloss® - ADA MS604114CEFG

@ Gary Swart (thank you)

but, there are 5 different DRAKE models (all ADA) ... again, if choosing a DRAKE, which one?

http://www.totousa.com/Default.aspx?TabId=37&SearchId=f96c270a-2530-4f10-a42a-bb7617d75096&page=all

Actually the Toto Gwyneth, ADA height, is the best toilet made. Comes in one-piece, and has great bowl wash. Right now a bargain -

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A one-piece is more expensive, but has some advantages since you can't get pee, etc. under the tank that is difficult to impossible to clean without removal (not something you want to do often!).

CEFIONTECT is an optional finish available on some Toto toilets that is smoother and has some antibacterial properties. Some other manufacturers sell similar things, but it is much more common in Europe and Asia than here.

I like my soft-close seat, but it does have more nooks and crannies to clean than a more typical seat. Any standard seat will work, though. toto has a commercial version of the softclose seat that might be easier to clean (not that it's hard, just not as easy as some); I've not really compared them side-by-side. The fact that it won't slam kind of intrigues little ones, and might be an incentive to lower it for others.

pearlbluevtx

Reaction score
TY Jim. Yes, we have a soft-close seat on my boy's toilet and I'm hopeful that it would fit a new toilet... and it's been nice b/c they are typically the 'slammers' which is why I bought it.

The one-piece has made me think about it more and I think my wife would appreciate that - I hope. The CEFIONTECT - which I understand that Kohler/AS have some other jargon that they mention and try to sell as well - would be a plus and worth the addt'l cost (if not exhorbinant) and something to consider. Many thanks for your thoughts.

A one-piece is more expensive, but has some advantages since you can't get pee, etc. under the tank that is difficult to impossible to clean without removal (not something you want to do often!).

CEFIONTECT is an optional finish available on some Toto toilets that is smoother and has some antibacterial properties. Some other manufacturers sell similar things, but it is much more common in Europe and Asia than here.

I like my soft-close seat, but it does have more nooks and crannies to clean than a more typical seat. Any standard seat will work, though. toto has a commercial version of the softclose seat that might be easier to clean (not that it's hard, just not as easy as some); I've not really compared them side-by-side. The fact that it won't slam kind of intrigues little ones, and might be an incentive to lower it for others.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My daughters home came with Mansfield, which we removed after she could no longer take it.

The main bathroom got the Toto Drake, which she and the kids love.

I put a Kohler Cimarron which I had used in a several week test, into the Master bath.
Better than the builder grade Mansfield, but now she wants that replaced too.

The downstairs got a Sterling, and we will be replacing that with a Toto Drake.

CEFIONTECT is a nice feature. I recommend it highly.

Any home with a softclose seat will more often then not have the seat down for the next person.
Kids love watching them go down.

The TOTO Drake II and the TOTO Ultramax II, two options, a two and a one-piece.
The two piece has a higer MAP, and is a little less money.
The one would be easier to install and clean later.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just so you know - my comment was tongue-in-cheek -

if you get a Drake, or Gwyneth, or Soiree, or Ultramax (all Totos) you'll be happy. Depends on whether you want the one-piece look (I do), and the "double cyclone" bowl wash feature (I do). (I have one Soiree and two Gwyneths).

Definitely get CEFIONTECT on any Toto you buy, and definitely get ADA height unless you are really short.

pearlbluevtx

Reaction score
thanks Terry & SteveW.

I have 4 bathrooms ... and if I like a TOTO and it works then I'll be replacing ALL the rest. Right now I'm wondering if I get two for my two worst enemy bathrooms or just go for the main (boys!) torture hole then get another one.

I think that's what I'll do ... much appreciated. Plan on looking at them tomorrow or Friday.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Going back to your original post, one thing you asked was about special plumbing requirements. No special plumbing is required with the Gwyneth, Drake, Ultramax. However, the Soiree and Aquia have a special "unifit" adapter that is not hard to put in but is different from conventional toilets and sometimes requires moving the water supply line to the left a few inches.

Rather-Be-Boating

Reaction score

Why is it the best, and why/where is it currently a bargain?

I'm also curious about ADA height. We are a short family (tallest member 5' 7"), with 3 little kids (ages 5-10). Do little kids have difficulty with these ADA height toilets?

My absolute top priority is maximum flush... 3 little kids explains why!!! 1 piece design is great for cleaning, but if the price is ridiculously high, I would probably go with 2 piece.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
ADA height is approximately the same as a standard dining room chair, so you be the judge. I'm 5'8" and I find the ADA wonderful. Will you? Who can say except you. Really young kids adjusts to standard height toilets even though their feet to touch the floor. I don't think the extra couple of inches will matter to them, but if it does a simple 4" foot rest could be used until the grow into the toilet. Well, maybe not grow into the toilet, but grow to fit the toilet.:p

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For what you are getting, it seems like a lot of toilet.

It seems like an introductory price, as most of their stuff with Sanaglass and the taller bowls goes for more.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm as interested as anyone in saving a few bucks by finding someone who will sell a product I want for less money. However, I am not interested in buying an inferior product just to save the money. Toto does not sell their products through Big Box Stores or other discounters. Of course you might find a dealer who shaves prices a bit to improve volume sales, but that's problematic. Remember you are seeking a toilet that will work for years to come. This is not the best time to look for a bargain.:):)

pearlbluevtx

Reaction score
I'm considering the following ... what do you think?

-- edit -- well, I think I might have left off ADA on my criteria so these might not all be ADAs and I'm leaning to ADA as part of my criteria. Will have to re-do the search on these.

This is my revision: w/ CEFIONTECT, ADA as my main criteria. Then, I'm looking at one/two-piece and then 1.28 v 1.6 GPF

- Gwyneth™ Toilet, 1.28 GPF with SanaGloss® - ADA MS604114CEFG
- Vespin® Toilet, 1.6 GPF with SanaGloss® CST764SG
- Gwyneth™ Toilet, 1.28 GPF with SanaGloss® - ADA MS604114CEFG
- Eco UltraMax® One Piece Toilet, ADA Height, 1.28 GPF - CEFIONTECT MS854114ELG
- Soirée® Toilet, 1.6 GPF - ADA with SanaGloss® MS964214CFG

what I picked at first ...

picked elongated, CEFIONTECT, 1.6 GPF (No 1.28 GPFs in the choices but will consider that if you professionals think 1.28 are okay?)

1-Piece:

• UltraMax® Toilet, 1.6 GPF with SanaGloss® MS854114SG
  • Soirée® Toilet, 1.6 GPF - ADA with SanaGloss® MS964214CFG [like the full skirt]
  • Carlyle® Toilet, 1.6 GPF with SanaGloss® MS874114SG [like the full skirt]

2-Piece:

• Drake® Toilet, 1.6 GPF with SanaGloss® CST744SG
  • Vespin® Toilet, 1.6 GPF with SanaGloss® CST764SG [like the full skirt]

Last edited:

Rather-Be-Boating

Reaction score
For what you are getting, it seems like a lot of toilet.

It seems like an introductory price, as most of their stuff with Sanaglass and the taller bowls goes for more.

So you are saying the price advertised ANYWHERE is a bargain because it may be an introductory price from Toto? The Gwyneth does look a bit more contemporary, but can I assume there is minimal functional difference between it and the ultramax?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So you are saying the price advertised ANYWHERE is a bargain because it may be an introductory price from Toto? The Gwyneth does look a bit more contemporary, but can I assume there is minimal functional difference between it and the ultramax?

I still like the CEFIONTECT version of the Ultramax.
The Gwyneth has the double cyclone rinse, but I don't know that it works better then the Utramax as far as rinsing goes. I have both installed right now.

The Gwyneth does have the taller height, which in the Ultramax comes at a higher price.
When I think of pricing, it's Toto's retail book price that I mention.

I'm not using this forum for locating pricing that will put plumbers out of business. If there is not a profit for moving inventory, then we might as well show up with you to work and "job share". You have room for a couple of plumbers there? Some paper work they can do?

Rather-Be-Boating

Reaction score
I still like the CEFIONTECT version of the Ultramax.
The Gwyneth has the double cyclone rinse, but I don't know that it works better then the Utramax as far as rinsing goes. I have both installed right now.
Thanks Terry - but the Gwyneth has CEFIONTECT too, or did I misunderstand something?

I'm not using this forum for locating pricing that will put plumbers out of business. If there is not a profit for moving inventory, then we might as well show up with you to work and "job share". You have room for a couple of plumbers there? Some paper work they can do?

Sorry Terry - I do not recall asking for any recommendations that would "put plumbers out of business". I was merely trying to grasp the differences, both functional and financial, between products with which I am not familiar, so if/when I do decide to talk to a professional supplier/installer, I will be able to clearly articulate my questions, and fully understand their answers.

I would happily purchase from you were I not located in the midwest. I was unable to draw any conclusions on cost from your price list as the Gwyneth 1 piece is not listed in your shopping site: http://terrylove.biz/toilets/10-toto-ultramax-ii.html

I see only the 2 piece version.

I am sorry if I misunderstood the intent of these forums, of which I have been a member for several years. I had hoped to next ask for installation tips, in the event this unemployed father of three could get advice just in case I wanted to try to save a few bucks on behalf of my family, and only if I thought it was something I could do DIY. In all probability, despite the costs to my kids, I had actually planned to hire someone to do either the toilet job, or some more serious issues I also have.

Thanks again for your reply.

bg

Reaction score
I don't know squat about toilets, but I took the advise of Terry as
well as other experienced people here and sprang for a Toto Drake
with elongated bowl. I probably should have bought the ADA with
sanigloss, but I am going on my second year with this unit and all
I can say is I'm SOOO glad I bought the Drake. Sometimes with
the meds I have to take, a real load will expel itself from my old
bones and the Drake has never, and I mean never. has had to be
unclogged .

So far it has handled everything that I "throw" at it without a hiccup.
Best thing I have ever bought for this place of mine.

One could do much worse than a Toto Drake, MUCH worse.

bg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks