Very poor flush on AS Pressure-Assist

Users who are viewing this thread

Joerg

Reaction score
So here we are, brand new pressure assist toilet (American Standard Yorkville). Big disappointment: While it reluctantly clears what's in the bottom of the bowl the paper on top just swirls around. It doesn't slurp down the bowl contents like the old toilet did, the water level neither goes up nor down during the "flush". Just makes slight gurgling noises and some bubbles come up from the bowl center. After ten (!) flushes I took a 2-gallon bucket and that created enough siphon to get it down but still not as good as the old toilet did on its own.

Is there anything we can adjust on the tank? I really don't want to send this toilet back because it took four delivery attempts to receive a toilet that wasn't broken or had defects.

Regards, Joerg.

D

dc_homeplumber

Take the lid off the china tank and press down on the (usually round, white) knob on the Flushmate tank that is depressed when you operate the flush lever. If it then flushes normally, there may need to be an adjustment in the flush lever linkage. I previously owned an American Standard Cadet with Flushmate and the owners manual had very good troubleshooting instructions and flush lever linkage, along with other issues, was covered.

One question I should have asked first: Has it ever worked properly since initial installation?

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Homeplumber,

Just tried that. Same thing, the water level doesn't change much, no proper flush. The distance was 1/32" as in the leaflet.

And no, this toilet is brand new. Never flushed right. The old one flushed like a champ but broke and Kohler didn't have a spare tank :mad:

Regards, Joerg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That doesn't sound right.
I've installed a lot of the Glenwalls, and sold a few Yorkvilles, and have never heard that.

When you push down on the cartridge, you should get a good whoosh that will drain the bowl water.

Last edited:

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Terry,

Well, I went on the roof, checked the vent and it's clean like a whistle. When I quickly dump a 2 gallon bucket of water into the bowl should I get the usual syphon action of old toilets, where the water level would be almost completely sucked out of the bowl? I don't see that kind of syphon here, the paper left after the first "deposit" only went after several buckets and the water level doesn't ever go much below normal.

The whoosh is louder than it was on our old gravity toilet in there but not as loud as the toilet in the restaurant we went to today. That restroom toilet also had a tank and made a much louder hiss. Could our tank be bad? Anything besides the lever clearance that can be adjusted?

Regards, Joerg.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally opt for more clearance between the wire and the piston.

If the piston isn't allowed to come up, you don't get a full charge.

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Terry,

Just tried it. Unhooked the steel rod so the piston was free to move about, then pushed the piston down by hand. No change, the little wad of toilet paper I threw in there still floats around the top after three flushes.

Regards, Joerg.

booster

Reaction score
It has to be defective. I would just take it back and get a replacement. I would think that the jet is not hitting the outlet hole properly and spraying into the bowl instead. Most of the pressure flushers I have seen pull the bowl contents straight down, very quickly with no swirl to speak of.

D

dc_homeplumber

Flushmate Support

Be sure to register your Flushmate unit (you can do it online at flushmate dot com) and call Flushmate's support line (1-800-533-3460) for assistance with this problem. Their warranty is for ten years.

Joerg

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Ok, I'll call Flushmate but I just don't know whether the tank is defective or the toilet.

This whole thing is a bear. It took four delivery attempts and several calls to the big brass to get a toilet and tank without defects, some of them arrived in shattered pieces because of poor packaging. And now that dreaded thing doesn't flush. Even the neoprene ring is special order out here and it's going to be busted when I take the whole toilet out again, plus who knows whether the next one will work. My confidence level in products like this is at a low right now :(

Are bowls still flush tested these days or do they just "ship 'em"?

Regards, Joerg.

Joerg

Reaction score
I heeded Homeplumber's advice and called Flushmate. They listened to the tank sound over the phone, found it ok, then asked me to poke around in the jet hole with a wire. They said some manufacturers leave debris in there (unbelievable but they were right...).

Did that and it flushed correctly four times, then plugged again. It seems there is some loose obstruction in there, maybe porcelain debris. No idea how large but after some poking it works 2-3 flushes and then plugs again. Are there any tricks to get that out of there? Or other tricks to make that dreaded toilet bowl work?

Regards, Joerg.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So you have a defective bowl.

Unless you can take the bowl out again, and shake out all of the bits and pieces that are blocking the holes,
it will keep doing it.

But they're not sure the next bowl won't do the same thing?
That's just a crazy maker.

Last edited:
D

dc_homeplumber

I have serious reservations as to how much good it will do, but I think it's worth a shot to try to get American Standard to work with you on this one. Hopefully, they'll stand by their claim that every toilet is 100% factory flush tested. :confused:

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Terry, Hello Homeplumber,

It's a big chunk of china in there. Could feel the tip of it but can't pull it out, too large to go through the hole.

So, I am going to try some more today, then call American Standard again on Monday. That would be delivery attempt number five or six, I stopped counting. This is becoming ridiculous, plus when you pull it out the glued neoprene ring is going to shred and that costs money and another drive. Who is going to pay for that? Flush testing? I seriously doubt it. If they don't send me a new one I'll return it and demand my money back. So far they had been quite helpful, they just haven't delivered quality product. Let's see.

Question: Is there a really good brand that has a floor mount back-discharge unit that works? Preferably Japanese or European. Or a domestic company that definitely does _not_ offshore their production.

Regards, Joerg.

Joerg

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. Wonder if Gerber still makes them in the US. If not, I'd rather stay away.

The holes would then be wrong as well. The AS toilet has its mounting holes 13" from the wall (although the drawing said 12-3/4"...). The Gerber is 12" with some slot tolerance but won't fit, don't know if the porcelain tiles would take another torture. The height of the outlet is 4-1/4" on the Gerber versus 4" on the AS although that should still fit. Man, they couldn't even agree on mounting standards.

Anyway, if AS won't work and there is none from Toto, Geberit, Villeroy or companies like that I guess we might be stuck.

Regards, Joerg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks