Venting

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Vin, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Vin

Vin New Member

I have 2 vent pipes over my garage. One vents a bathroom in my basement and the other vents my laundry room. Can I merge them? Since the Bathroom vent is larger than the laundry room vent, I would like to tie the laundry room vent into the basement bathroom vent just prior to where it exits the roof. The laundry room is one floor above the basement. Can this be done without causing problems? Neither vent is connected to the main stack.

Vin
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Most homes have several vents through the roof.
    If you need an area of 3", then that is sometimes done by stubbing out
    two of the 2" vents
    and one of the 1-1/2" vents.

You can sometimes combine vents, if you have at least this already.
    With a four bath home, I would need at least four of the 2" vents.
  3. Vin

Vin New Member

I am still not certain if I will cause a problem if I tie the 1.5" laundry vent to the 3" Basement bath vent. I have heard that at the point where I combined the 2, the basement vent needs to be the higher of the 2.

Thanks,
    Vin
  4. BAPlumber

BAPlumber Plumber

in most cases you'll be ok tying into the 3" vent.

some places require the size of the VTR (vent through roof) to extend all the way to the building drain.
  5. Vin

Vin New Member

Brent ...thanks
  6. Vin

Vin New Member

Brent ...thanks