Under Sink Shut-off Valves

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by marshallized, Oct 11, 2009.

1. marshallized

marshallized New Member

Hi,
    When choosing a shut-off valve I see the outlet connection comes in either an 3/8" or 1/2" connection. How do I choose which one to get?. Is their any reason to choose one over the other?
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

depends on the faucet inlet size
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

We mostly use 3/8" compression stops on the outlet side.
    My supplier doesn't stock 1/2" IP stops and a few 1/2 compression stops.

[​IMG]
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The sizes available include 3/8 and 1/2 flare, 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2 compression, and 7/16 + 1/2 slip joint=1/2 ips thread. Valves and supply lines are available in all of those. BUT....the trade has widely settled on 3/8 compression as the size of choice. Since the actual flex supply tubes are pretty much all the same ID, there is no practical reason to use a larger size fitting if you are starting all new.

Because of this de-facto standardization, there is the widest availability of valves, lines, accessories, adapters,etc. in 3/8 compression. Any other size, choices are limited and harder to find.
  5. marshallized

marshallized New Member

Thanks for the replies,

Sometimes it seem like when doing a simple project their are to many options available to accomplish the same thing.