Small leak below main shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

fish biscuit

Reaction score
Hello,
As a DIYer this forum has been such a big help over the years. This is my very first post. Just noticed we have a small leak below our main shut off valve. It appears the leak is coming from the threads of the connection to the valve. I'm guessing and hoping a 1/4 or 1/2 turn to tighten will solve the leak. I'm wondering how I do this without compromising the thread on the other side (top) of the valve. If I tighten it below won't the movement of the valve loosen the opposite thread? Do I have to disconnect the valve from the pipe above before I tighten valve? The teflon tape in the photos was my attempt to try and see if I could seal the leak from the outside. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 9.14.30 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 9.14.30 AM.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 9.14.43 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 9.14.43 AM.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 9.14.54 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 9.14.54 AM.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 46

fish biscuit

Reaction score
OK I got it apart, cleaned all the threads, put a little pipe dope on it and tightened it back up. Still has a very very tiny leak, about 1 drip every 2-3 minutes. I took it all apart again to try and look at the mating surfaces. I can see one very small imperfection on the flare. I'm guessing this may be the cause of the leak? Is there any easy option to fix this? Maybe a gasket or some kind of sealant? If it is going to require a new flare that is when I will have to let a professional take over which I am trying to avoid to save some money. Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 22

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
depending on what the imperfection is, indentaion or crack would determine the appropriate fix. The best fix, would be to cut the pipe and reinstall a new union or flare connection assuming its required to have a removable fitting at that location.

The simplest fix might be to wrap a time or two around the cone shaped surface with teflon tape. Essentially forming a soft gasket that would fill in the imperfection. None of the tape needs to be on the threaded portion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks