Tubular offset for pedestal sinks

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Alces, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Alces

Alces New Member

I am putting a new pedestal sink in a half bath, and the new sink might have to be slightly moved to the right, an inch or two, so it will not line up with the drain connection in the wall anymore.
    I've read a number of postings here and the general answer is: SOL. Not much you can do other than moving the pipe.

That's something I'd like to avoid, as it seems to be even cast iron, at least galv. pipe, from what I can see/touch.

So I saw a tubular "Double Slip Joint Trap Offset" at Home Depot (SKU 212154):
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203133...word=212154&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203133052

Has anybody experience using these? Enough room behind the pedestal? Will it look goofy?
    I was thinking of cutting one end off to the required length, essentially creating a 45 degree elbow, and the also have the j-bend from the p-trap sit at a 45 degree angle and join the 45 elbow. I couldn't find any plain 45 elbows in chromed brass, which would basically be the same.

Thanks for the input.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The swivel on a trap will swing sideways a few inches. A lot depends on the pedestal.
    I don't like what you are suggesting to do though. At least in practice. That type of fitting works better under a cabinet where you have plenty of room.
  3. Alces

Alces New Member

That's a good point, that might just be enough to give the required space I need. My brain must have been foggy thinking the trap has to straight out. Apparently the pedestal model has plenty of room to work with.
    Thanks for the tip!
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The offset can be made with a pair of slip joint 45 fittings off the sink drain, but whether it would fit in your space I could not say.
  5. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

those kind of double hub fittings are not legal to code because the reverse hub is a way of catching debris from sink all drain fittings
    have to lead down not up ! !
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You use both halves of the double 45 to make an offset, but few pedestal lavs have anywhere near enough room inside the pedestal to do it. Most even have limited space to bend the trap sideways to offset the sink from the center of the drain.