Tub/Shower Valve Height

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by yoyoma, Aug 16, 2008.

1. yoyoma

yoyoma New Member

The plumber asked me what I wanted and I said make it 48" high. It's a hansgrohe thermobalance II for tub and handshower. My thinking was that the bath is rarely used, and when it's used it's to initially fill it up, and then access to the valve would not be needed once in the tub. Is it weird to have the valve at 48" high for a tub/shower? Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The only hassle I can see is if you were taking a long bath and wanted to add some hot to extend it, or you sit in the tub while it is filling. You'd have to stand up to do it rather than lean forward. When showering, bending over to adjust or turn it off isn't a big deal.

Putting it high for a shower only is the norm; not for a tub/shower.
  3. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

I usually rough valves at 32" above the finished floor.The spout stub out I put 4" above the tub if the fixture allows.
  4. yoyoma

yoyoma New Member

Ah, so I messed up. I hope I didn't also mess up by putting the outlet for the hose 12" below the valve. Is that normal?
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You put the outlet for the handheld shower 12" below the valve?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

I would have put it 42" above the shower floor and the hand held outlet 6" above and to the side of it, but that is strictly a personal preference, not chiseled in stone.
  7. yoyoma

yoyoma New Member

Yes. Is that bad?

OK, so I'm only off by 6" then. Not as bad.

I was thinking of doing that, but then where the hose would bend would cross the valve trim a bit. (assuming using a wall bar with handheld shower at lowest height) I have the valve offset to the right side since there will be a wall bar in the middle. By having the outlet underneath the hose will then flex inward away from the valve. That was my thinking anyway.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

That is why it is off to the side so it does not cross in front of the plate. Usually we center the valve and then put the rail and elbow to the side so the hose does not hang in front of the valve. Since the handheld can swivel being off center is usually not a problem.