Trouble removing shower/tub trim...see photos

Users who are viewing this thread

Jaimeinaz

Reaction score
I barely have the vocabulary to describe my problem, so please feel free to clue me in...I am attempting to remove the trim from an old shower and I have the handle and the plate off no problem. The chrome "sleeve" won't come off -it is two pieces and the outer part is very stationary, while the part closes to the wall is spinning freely abd loose. Under this the white plastic piece that I believe holds the "stop" is pretty stationary as well. I have tried yanking, pulling, spinning ( will not budge) and trying to wedge the thing outwards. I do not want to break the whole thing because it is imbedded in a wall that has wire cloth and stucco on both sides...a very specialized faux red-rock finish that I have no desire to match/repair. Any help appreciated...even an id on the valve...looks kinda like a moentrol?

IMG_20140510_152024_203.jpg

IMG_20140510_152118_530.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
the outer ring "should" unscrew. make sure the water is off, drain the valve by putting the handle on and opening it, and the outer ring should turn counter-clockwise.

Last edited:

Jaimeinaz

Reaction score
The valve is drained, water is off, still can't budge the outer ring. I sprayed vinegar on it earlier as well...WD-40 next?

Jaimeinaz

Reaction score
Here is a better image showing the valve body.

IMG_20140510_165659_759.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140510_152118_530.jpg
    IMG_20140510_152118_530.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
personally, i would consider a wrench. I have NO IDEA what kind of valve it is but its NOT a Moentrol. It really looks like that ring unscrews. But if you put a wrench on it you might mess up the metal. You can put a rag on the ring to protect it and use pliers, or maybe a piece of a rubber hose. Why are you taking it apart?

Jaimeinaz

Reaction score
Ok, I used a pipe wrench and it is off. I suppose that would have been the logical next step but I used channel-lock pliers and got nowhere, and didn't understand how much more effective a wrench is. While I was at Ace I recognized the replacement cartridge and the store manager said it is a Delta...so unless this had some weird retrofit I guess this is a delta?! The shower was dripping, the trim was corroded, and I'm switching everything to oil-rubbed bronze as I go...

I have a "universal" trim from price pfister but I suspect this is not one of the models that will work...

Any idea what model this could be?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, it is a #604 Scaldguard. Good luck finding anything other than chrome trim for it. You might want to replace the "balancing spool" under the hex nut on the left side, because it is probably not working by now. The valve may be inverted because that spool is usually on the right side.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hopefully, the repair kit has replacements for those two black seals in the back. Delta's website (and, if it's an OEM repair kit) should show how to do it. While you have it open, replace all of the wear parts.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Several years ago when I was faced with a similar problem in trying to match older bronze trim for my Delta, I discovered that it was no longer available. I just replaced the whole valve with a Delta 1700 which has scale control and volume control. I love it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks