Unremovable shower handle

Users who are viewing this thread

homenanook

Reaction score
Trying to fix a leaky Moen shower head.

I’ve removed the set screw, but can’t seem to get the handle off. Have tried twisting the spacer (which spins freely) as well as pulling both the handle and the spacer. Have used a fair amount of force and am reluctant to use more... Can anyone help?

I’m eventually trying replace the cartridge as that seems to be the most likely solution. Making things a bit more challenging, I can’t find the model of the handle to google how to remove the handle - the brand nor model don’t appear to be on the handle or behind the trim plate.

The shower head is Moen, but when I contacted them to ask for assistance, they said the handle isn’t theirs (The shower head and handle came with the house when we bought it so we don’t know what the handle brand is or where it came from).

Hoping someone can help… Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!

Attachments

• Shower Handle.jpg
    Shower Handle.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Shower handle 2.jpg
    Shower handle 2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Shower handle 3.jpg
    Shower handle 3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

homenanook

Reaction score
Thank you! That gives me a place to start. I tried rotating... the escutcheon rotates freely, but nothing happens other than rotation. The handle doesn't rotate beyond pointing up (off) or down (hot). Any ideas?

homenanook

Reaction score
That is not a Moen but is a Kohler. The valve body is K304 classic.
Many Koler handle assemblies UNSCREW by rotating on the shank.
Breplum -
Thank you! I called Kohler and they confirmed it. They weren't able to tell me much more than that. I've been rotating on the skirt but nothing happens. it spins freely... and that's it. Can you let me know whether I should be turning A or B? I've been spinning A... and B isn't moving separately from the handle. I can try more force... if you think this is the correct place to spin? Thank you again!!

IMG_3658.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks