Toto one piece versus two piece.

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by piperca, Oct 14, 2009.

1. piperca

piperca New Member

I'm looking at the Toto Ultramax w/Sanagloss and the Toto Drake w/Sanagloss. The Drake is $200+ cheaper, but I've read nothing but good things about it. Other than looks, is there a reason I should choose the Ultramax?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The one-piece toilets come with a soft close seat.

They are easier to clean, no gap between tank and bowl.
    Easier to install, pull it from the box and stick it on the wax.
    Less parts, therefore less can go wrong
    They look cool.

But either one would be a good choice.

The Ultramax is made in the USA
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  3. piperca

piperca New Member

Thanks for the response, Terry.

Another question: I roughed the toilet in at a tight 12" from the finished wall; is there much room behind either of those toilets that would allow me to get some 5/16" tile back there?
  4. Terry

The Drakes have about 1" behind the tank, and the Ultramax about 3/4"
  5. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

My advice is to see the Ultramax in person first. The Drake is svelte by comparison with more traditional lines. The Ultramax with Toto seat is larger with somewhat odd angles. It's not ugly (and I wouldn't balk at owning one), but it is not for everyone. It would probably look best with more modern bath designs. The EcoDrake I have is trim, simple, and attractive.

I'm not opposed to one piece designs, and would actually prefer them if they didn't have the odd curves/extra projection of the Ultramax (why the sloped tank cover?) and were priced the same. The appearance is a personal preference/style thing.

[​IMG]
    Ultramax
    [​IMG]
    Drake
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
  6. piperca

piperca New Member

Thanks for the input guys!

I think we've settled on the Ultramax for the cleanliness issue, although the wife really likes the Drake. I found the Ultramax for a smidge under $*** (MS854114SG-01), so there's really not that much between the two, price wise.

It's still not bolted down yet, so things could change ... LOL!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009
  7. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Have you looked into the Ultramax II? It has Toto's unique "double cyclone" jets under the rim for better bowl wash. Comes in 1-piece design, too. I have 2 of them and really like them.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilets

In the "old days" the one piece toilets were designed so they COULD NOT overflow, which made them preferable in many locations. Now that feature has been eliminated in order to comply with the water restrictions so the choice of one piece or two piece has become one of appearance only.
  9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A two-piece tends to have the tank sitting higher than on a one-piece, thus the water falls further letting similar designs for the bowl flush slightly better on the two-piece. Usually not enough difference to make an issue.
  10. piperca

piperca New Member

Jim, I learned that today at the plumbing supply that I am using for my fixtures. My wife still likes the two piece, so we might end up with it.

I mentioned, maybe switching from the Ultramax to the Drake, when I was at the pluming supply today. Believe it or not, the salesperson told me they thought it was a wise choice, since they prefer the Drake and have heard nothing but excellent feedback on the unit. I would have thought they'd want the extra dollars for the Ultramax ... gives me more faith in the company I am dealing with.
  11. Terry

I have fewer problems with the one-piece toilets.

However, not everyone is comfortable spending more money.
    I sell more of the two-piece, mainly as a price point decision.
    Functionally, they both work fine.

For my customers that ask for the best, they get the one-piece units.

But then most of my customers drive pretty nice cars too.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009