Toilet flow problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by retzman22, Jul 28, 2011.

1. retzman22

retzman22 New Member

First time homebuyer and just moved into this house. It has a well and septic. 1 toilet seems to flush and work fine. However the other toilet has issues. The tank seems to always be full of water but the bowl is pretty much empty. If you flush the toilet it fills with water rapidly but slowly drains out similar to a bath tub. Is the toilet clogged?

I havent tried much due to being very new to the repairing toilet scene.

Thank you very much,
    Ryan
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

First make sure that the tube from the fill valve is pointed into the overflow tube.
    This is what refills the bowl.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Another thing that can slowly drain a bowl is something like dental floss caught. It acts like a wick. The toilet could be defective, but the most common thing is as Terry mentioned, the refill tube not being positioned properly.
  4. oranges13

oranges13 New Member

You stated it filled rapidly, but that it drained slowly.

Does it swirl and flush normally and then cease to refill properly?
    In my experience, a clogged or slow moving toilet will fill, fail to flush well and then slowly empty - usually ending with lower than expected water level in the bowl.

Check what everyone else has suggested but I'd attempt a good plunge or two as well.