The "stuff" in the P-trap.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Artie, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Artie

Artie New Member

I'm one of those people who always thought that that curved thingy under the sink was to catch your wedding ring when you dropped it. Or maybe the aerator screen when you cleaned it. It was much later in life that I came to understand the "gas-trap" principle.

Now that I know that its supposed to keep a little of the last fluid through it in there, I worry about whats sitting in there . . . like my left-over coffee, or that beer from last nights shindig.

Does anyone else flush the trap for awhile before turning off the water . . . or am I just being anal? :(
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

You said it I didn't.

John
  3. Artie

Artie New Member

;)

Love the avatar.
  4. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Funny thing about that avatar I don't know where it came from it just appeared on all my recent posts. Not sure but I think it came from Terry, I see he was a visitor to my page. I kind of like it. If so thanks Terry.

John
  5. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

I do the same if you dump something other then a clear liquid down there.... Why not?

If you leave beer, coffee, Milk etc. in the trap you will smell it when it starts to rot!

I try to avoid this!:cool:
  6. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Wow, flushing the trap after you dump something down the drain? That's a total waste of good water, besides your nightly drain of the dish sink will flush your trap anyways.
  7. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Terry's been known to add avatars if you stick around a while and don't have one.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

That is where the Grand Canyon came from on mine. The trap, by definition is supposed to be "self cleaning", meaning stuff is NOT supposed to stay it it. Heavy things like coffee grounds and wedding rings,which do not float in water, and should not be in the drain in the first place, will stay there until there is enough flow to pick them up and carry them down the line, to a point where they again fall out of the flow and start to accumulate to create and eventual stoppage.
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

John,
    That was me.
    If you go to User CP, you can change your options.
    I like the avatars, it helps me know who's posting.

And of course hj's avatar reflects his ageless wisdom, and that he's from Arizona.