Strange question..maybe. Combining wires from two circuts

Users who are viewing this thread

MassGuy2

Reaction score
Want to run a line from cellar to upstairs to use as indicator for well...thought i could get power off one of the 110 lines going to control box when pressure switch calls for water,and use neutral wire in outlet nearby as other wire...just thought something such as nightlite would be a good indicator to let me know pump has kicked on and so i can tell when it goes off.....question is will tapping into one of 2 lines for run motor interfere with pump...even if only a small nightlite type draw....we have limited water supply and has run well dry a few times and believe that put our first pump in an early grave so want something to help us know if pump is on.....would using a voltage tester with small indicator lite be better...would have to extend leads to bring upstairs....can go straight up so less than 8 feet of wire....any thoughts appreciated.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Do not tap the hot from your pump circuit and the neutral from another circuit. It is not safe. You could tap the load side of your pressure switch and use a relay with a 240V coil and hook up your indicator light, powered from a different 120V circuit. to the normally open contacts.

There is probably something off the shelf from Taco or Franklin that would do this.

MassGuy2

Reaction score
Just want to clarify...wanted to tap to one of the two 110 lines feeding control box...not a 220 line complete..and on feed side theres 2 feeds so thought getting a neutral from another source just to run a small indacator light...i wired most of the house when remodeled so have some idea on wiring just dont know if this would interfere with feed to pump...appreciate your replies ActionDave..

Reaction score
It is distinctly illegitimate and not done to run a hot wire somewhere and have it join a neutral elsewhere.

There is a mater of inductive heating, which I do not understand well enough to explain.

Essentially the current must run up one wire and right back down another, in the same cable or conduit.

Why are you doing this at 120V?

Why not arrange a relay to switch a doorbell transformer on when the pump is running (or just have it come on with the pump, if that is easier), and use bell wire to take the 16v to an indicator bulb where you want it?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The easy way would be to install a 240 volt 3 watt light but anything installed does not make the water in the well deeper.
Unless someone is going to be monitoring the system 24/7 it is nothing more than a waste of time. If the bulb is not seen what use is it? I suppose people sleep, work, and play so the bulb would not be monitored at all times.

On a side note; if you wired your home using the tactics mentioned in this thread you have some very serious problems and I suggest replacement cost insurance as soon as possible

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Just want to clarify...wanted to tap to one of the two 110 lines feeding control box...not a 220 line complete..and on feed side theres 2 feeds so thought getting a neutral from another source just to run a small indacator light...i wired most of the house when remodeled so have some idea on wiring just dont know if this would interfere with feed to pump...appreciate your replies ActionDave..
No. Don't grab a neutral from another circuit. There would be no danger of harming the pump. The danger would be in the circuit you concocted.

After looking at your original post again and a bit of rest I now recall an off the shelf unit that would fit your need. It is called a Pump Minder. I know Franklin makes one. It monitors the pump circuit and shuts off the power if you have no water flowing through the pump.

MassGuy2

Reaction score
The easy way would be to install a 240 volt 3 watt light but anything installed does not make the water in the well deeper.
Unless someone is going to be monitoring the system 24/7 it is nothing more than a waste of time. If the bulb is not seen what use is it? I suppose people sleep, work, and play so the bulb would not be monitored at all times.

On a side note; if you wired your home using the tactics mentioned in this thread you have some very serious problems and I suggest replacement cost insurance as soon as possible
Had to be one...seems every forum no matter what topic there is someone who feels its their job just to annoy people...and can tell you are the top dog here!! Good JOB !!

Last edited:

MassGuy2

Reaction score
No. Don't grab a neutral from another circuit. There would be no danger of harming the pump. The danger would be in the circuit you concocted.

After looking at your original post again and a bit of rest I now recall an off the shelf unit that would fit your need. It is called a Pump Minder. I know Franklin makes one. It monitors the pump circuit and shuts off the power if you have no water flowing through the pump.
Thank you...appreciate the POSITIVE reply..will look into this...Curt

JWelectric

Reaction score
I have received more PMs today than I have since joining this site. I have new friends that want to spend some time with me this summer.

I just hope that this redneck moron can find some good entertainment for my new friend.

Now it’s time for this top dog to get back to doing a good job of annoying people.

MassGuy2

Reaction score
The biggest babies always cry out in the open.....

I have received more PMs today than I have since joining this site. I have new friends that want to spend some time with me this summer.

I just hope that this redneck moron can find some good entertainment for my new friend.

Now it’s time for this top dog to get back to doing a good job of annoying people.
....guess we know who the biggest baby is...gotta grab attention always...or help for his annoying ways...:cool:

JWelectric

Reaction score
Just for the benefit of all I made a comment about the original post and how in my opinion it was useless and then the PM started. Some of which are fairly funny as a matter of fact.

Maybe I should have responded with a comment about how great of an idea this was and how such an installation would rock the very foundations of the electrical trade. Maybe I should have questioned why with all the brilliant minds in the electrical trade someone hadn’t thought of this before. Grab two wires from two different circuits and wire up a light bulb so we will know when the pump is running unless the bulb blows or we fall asleep or go to work or eat at the table or whatever. At least when the bulb ain’t burning we ain’t paying for no electric for that dry well.

But instead I gave the idea a thumbs down as it is just about as silly as anything I have ever encountered in my whole life. But then again who am I? Just some ole southern redneck hillbilly moron top dog attention grabbing baby that does a good job of annoying someone.

EDITED TO ADD;

Got three more while making this post. Might read them tomorrow.
I will copy and paste them here if you want to see them.

MassGuy2

Reaction score
Just for the benefit of all I made a comment about the original post and how in my opinion it was useless and thenGot three more while making this post. Might read them tomorrow.
I will copy and paste them here if you want to see them.

Its plain and simple...you were direspectful in you original reply so you got what you deserved...when someone asks a question dont treat it like its the stupidest thing you ever heard...answer as unadvisable...not sarcasm!!

JWelectric

Reaction score
Its plain and simple...you were direspectful in you original reply so you got what you deserved...when someone asks a question dont treat it like its the stupidest thing you ever heard...answer as unadvisable...not sarcasm!!

What was it that Forrest Gump said, “stupid is as stupid does”

When someone asks a stupid question in most cases they get a stupid answer especially when they make the statement such as;
...i wired most of the house when remodeled so have some idea on wiring just dont know if this would interfere with feed to pump...appreciate your replies ActionDave..

I did give you the correct answer but I didn’t give you the answer you wanted to hear;
The easy way would be to install a 240 volt 3 watt light

What you wanted to hear was you had the best idea anyone has come up with in over a thousand years. You have come up with a design that will set the electrical trade on its heels.

But the truth is as I have already said;
but anything installed does not make the water in the well deeper. Unless someone is going to be monitoring the system 24/7 it is nothing more than a waste of time. If the bulb is not seen what use is it? I suppose people sleep, work, and play so the bulb would not be monitored at all times.

Now feel free to send some more derogatory PMs and give me what I deserve.

MassGuy2

Reaction score
Yuor hopeless...must be the way you treat your customers based on that fancy pretty yellow trailer you live in...my shed is half the size of that thing.....later..aint comin back here to stupidsville.....bye ...:rolleyes:

JWelectric

Reaction score
Yuor hopeless...must be the way you treat your customers based on that fancy pretty yellow trailer you live in...my shed is half the size of that thing.....later..aint comin back here to stupidsville.....bye ...:rolleyes:

Does this look like a yellow trailer?

Does this mean you aren't coming to visit like you promised?

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
In case anyone wants to answer his question instead of insult him, He needs a FRANKLIN PUMPTEK or at the very least a 15$ low pressure cut out switch for the pressure switch.

The pumptek will turn back on when water comes back, the switch means he must manually reset it. He wanted to SAVE the pump, not watch a light 24-7.

Where should the hillbilly aim his drone missile at?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would rather have my home wired by jwelectric then by a homeowner.

Ballvalve, I added the link to the pumptek

As long as water comes out of the pipe at the end, I'm good. I quit doing electrical when I was getting shocked installing a bath fan. I think that one had some mixed up wires too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks