Sterling Diverter valve problem

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Robert K, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Robert K

Robert K New Member

Replaced Sterling Hot, Cold and Diverter valve with all new valves. All cap thread gaskets, flat rubber seats, were replaced . All worked well,no leaks

When diverter valve is set to shower, tub is off and shower receives all water as designed.
    But when diverter is set to tub, water does come from tub faucet, but also some water comes out of shower. Not residual water from prior setting, but a continuing flow from shower.

Will welcome any suggestions.

Thank you,
    Robert K.
  2. Ebbie

Ebbie New Member

Hello There,

I do not have a suggestion for solution, however I am experiencing an almost identical problem. Replaced Hot, Cold and Diverter valves, seats, etc. When I turn the diverter to tub, the water flows as expected, however when I turn it to shower, water comes out both the shower head and tub spout...

~Ebbie
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

This is in the top 3 of questions asked.

On a 3 handle shower, there is a second washer or gasket on the middle stem. It is behind the nose. It stops water from going to the spout when shower is selected. Probably that gasket was missing, or damaged somehow during installation.

It is also very important on all 3 of these stems that the stem NOT be turned towards the off direction when you install the stem into the body. It should be turned out to ON ( middle stem turned usually CCW to "shower" position). Otherwise, the stem bottoms out which can cause damage and improper operation, and also leaks.