Solar pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hellow all,Great Site! I am going to install 2 solar pumps in different wells. One will be set at 80 feet,the other at 160 feet.TDH of 80 and 360 respectively.I would like to use polypipe in both.I am thinking the 160 footer with a TDH of 360 will need 200psi poly.I read on here of the uselessness of a pull rope.My question is,does the pullrope attach to the pump or the male adaptor that is coupled to the polypipe.Does the poly pipe ever come apart from the male adaptor?If so, then a rope would have some use.Also 360 foot of head equates to 160 psi at the bottom of the well.Hose clamp fittings or compression fittings? Anyway thanks for the site and any answers you might have...Upper

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You don't need 200 psi PE, 160 is more than sufficient. Your TDH is figured to the highest elevation and then from the static water or pumping level level, plus the pressure you are running the pump at and the friction loss of the pipe and fittings.

Double opposed SS hose clamps properly torqued with the T handled torque wrench that you should be able to buy where you buy the clamps. Over tightening clamps is the primary cause of failure. There are no compression fittings to hang a submersible pump with.

You don't want a safety rope but normally they connect to the male adapter. I've never seen PE come off an adapter and it's used to 500'+ with up to 1.5 hp 5 gpm pumps. I wonder what your experience with safety ropes on submersible pumps is. I think you're running on fear. If you have one and it breaks or you drop it down the well, which they do (including steel), you'll seriously wish you hadn't installed one.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary,fear is right.I drilled this well ,300 feet cased 6 inches to 30 feet then 5 inch air hammer to 300.I have 15 gpm at 240 feet and about 5 gpm at 150.The solar pump that will give me 4.4 gpm at 360 TDH, in a 6sqf with 7 170w panels.I cant find anything that will do beter,short of converter systems.My pumping level will be within 20 of static,Hence 340 to 360 TDH.Might I add the homeowner is more fearfull than I.Thanks Upper

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Man that's a lota panels just to pump water. But then I have 6 100 watt panels on the roof of my motorhome. I also have 6 275ah AGM batteries and a 3kw pure sine wave inverter with charger boost of like 50% of what the panels produce.

We do everything electrical except run the AC units; that includes a toaster, George Foreman, microwave, two 90w laptop computers, dash radio 6-8 hrs/day and TV and control box 6-8 hrs/evening and all day Sundays, satellite dish, router, modem, furnace, putting our 14' slide in/out when needed and florescent ceiling light for 6-8 hrs a day, all that for on average 16 hrs/day. And then we have a 5.5KW generator as backup and have had to use it for an hour or 1.5 hrs periodically when we don't get to 100% float charge on the batteries by about 4 pm. Actually we should have 300+ ah batteries or 2 more batteries or like 1-2 more panels.

Without all the right sized and number of things, I don't know if he's going to pump much water very long. And that's all I know about solar operated well pumps or systems.

He might be much better off with a Honda 2 or 3kw gas generator and a cistern and another repressurization 120v pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks