Sluggish toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by John in herndon, May 27, 2007.

1. John in herndon

John in herndon New Member

Hello all,

I have a townhouse with 4 toilets on 3 levels. 3 of the 4 toilets flush just fine. One in a first floor powderroom has problems. It takes 3 or 4 flushes to remove solid waste. The water volume seems sufficient but the waste simply spins around i the neck of the toilet and refuses to exit. The toilet makes a rather loud "choking sound" as the water exits.

These are original toilets and have no discernible brand names on the bowl so I assume they are spec builders cheepos.

The waste line is 3" PVC which takes a 90° turn out of the flange, picks up the basin waste line and continues about 20 inches where it goes into the 3" PVC stack from the second floor bathroom above.

Does anyone have any ideas here? I will probably pull the bowl and look at the flange in the event there is an obstruction there.

Thanks for any replies.

John
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes a mirror will help.
    Things get lodged in the upper bend, and in the lower bend.

A closet auger can help sometimes.
    If not, pull the bowl and take a look from the bottom end of the bowl.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008