Slow draining toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Ennis Davis

Reaction score
What are some of the causes of a slow draining toilet. 1. I plunged it many times. Tank and valve are ok. This is 50 foot up hill from a septic tank. looked inside septic, looked ok, low level and clean filter. AND....the toilet down stream 5 feet from tank works fine. Can you snake a toilet?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes there is something in the trapway of a toilet bowl.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-use-a-closet-auger-on-a-plugged-toilet.18133/

auger_01.jpg

This is what we use to snake just the toilet. If someone dropped a toy car down it then sometimes we pull the bowl and work from the bottom side to push out the toy.

toilet-toy-mario.jpg

I don't know who did this, but I guess they wanted to know why it wasn't working anymore.

Ennis Davis

Reaction score
Does it have to have that rubber end on it. I have a crank one with a helical hook on the end of it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does it have to have that rubber end on it. I have a crank one with a helical hook on the end of it.
The closet auger is usually a larger diameter than a cheap regular snake. It is shorter than a regular good-diameter snake, and therefore easier to handle. Plus, that rigid sleeve makes it easier for toilet use too.

Ennis Davis

Reaction score
I bought one of those augers and it doesnt seem to make the second curve. It actually tries to come back. I put the auger in with the curve pointed up while in the discharge hole. The begin to turn while pushing. Doesnt work well.
Other then the auger, is there any reason the toilet would not flush quickly like maybe the rim holes are plugged.

Reach4

Reaction score
I bought one of those augers and it doesnt seem to make the second curve. It actually tries to come back. I put the auger in with the curve pointed up while in the discharge hole. The begin to turn while pushing. Doesnt work well.
Other then the auger, is there any reason the toilet would not flush quickly like maybe the rim holes are plugged.
Yes. Or the siphon jet is plugged. If that happens much, you might want to consider a water softener.

Take a five gallon bucket or plastic waste can. Put water in pretty high. Pour the water into the toilet from as high as you can, as fast as you dare. See if that moves things along.

Ennis Davis

Reaction score
I have a water softener and it does flush with 5 gallons in the bowel. Wonder if the jets are plugged up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks