Single shower valves have no volume control??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bleu_is_bleu, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bleu_is_bleu

bleu_is_bleu New Member

I'm replacing a leaking 22 year old Delta single handle shower valve that was true "2 function": 0-100% volume control by lifting/lowering the handle, and hot and cold controlled by turning left/right. But now as far as I can see the Delta, Kohler, Moen and others don't have volume control in their single valve shower assemblies. To finish my remodel I'm stuck with the American Standard Symphony to duplicate the "True" 2 function of a single lever shower assembly.

Before I return the brand new leaking Moen Adler that fails to include stem trim and install the American Standard Symphony, can anyone comment on:

1. Any other single handle shower models that meet the anti-scald code but which have volume control?

2. Quality and durability of American Standard shower valves?

3. Why did Delta and others stop making single shower valves with volume control?!?!
  2. jastori

jastori New Member

There are still valves with volume control. In delta, for example, the '13' and '14' series do not have volume control. The '17' and '17T' series do have volume control. The 'T' means 'thermostatic' which provides accurate temperature control (more expensive). The others are all 'pressure balanced' which adjusts to pressue fluctuations, but does not control temperature as accurately.

We used a 17 series in our earlier remodel, and found that we never ended up using the volume control. In a low-flow showerhead, we ended up always having it on full-pressure. In our more recent remodel, we ended up going back to a single function (no volume control) valve. One thing I did not like about the 17 series was that the temperature control was smaller, and a bit more awkward to adjust accurately.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They DID NOT. The Delta "universal body" with the 1700 series trim has both a volume and a "set it and forget it" temperature control lever which you CAN adjust if multiple people use the shower and want different temperatures. If you ALWAYS used the valve at "full flow" then you DID use the volume control feature, you just did not use the modulating capability of the valve.
  4. bleu_is_bleu

bleu_is_bleu New Member

That's funny, I didn't install the "optional" 2 lever Delta, but the associate assured me it didn't have volume control when I asked about the 2nd lever function. I don't want a double lever however; the single lever that is the subject of my search, in all brands including Delta but excluding AS, had but one plane of travel. I'm going to assume that means volume control requires a cold water shower, and hot water showers can only be taken at full blast. If there is a Delta SINGLE lever (ie. up/down and left/right) shoot me a model number.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

On the 1700 series, one lever adjusts the temperature and the other the volume. The only limiting factor is where you set the mandatory max temp cam. Or, if you get the cartridge and trim for the termostatic version, one still adjusts the temp and the other the volume. Don't know of any that use one lever in the dual action for volume and temp.
  6. hj

With the Delta, you can preset the temperature lever, or leave it at the previous setting, and then use the main lever to control the volume. You do NOT have to adjust the temperature every time you use the valve the way you do with the single lever units.
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It's been pretty well covered already, but I can vouch for the 17 series control. One main lever to control the volume and a small dial to vary the temperature. For normal shower use, the small dial is already set at a desirable warm temperature, so you just move the large lever to turn the water on. If at anytime you wish the water warmer or cooler, it's a simple matter to move the small dial, but most of the time, no adjustment is needed.
  8. hj

In AZ shouldn't your screen name be Azul_is_Azul? Bleu is Bleu is a Quebec signature.