Shower valve copper pipe length

Users who are viewing this thread

Noizboy

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my bathroom. I put in a new wider tub which moves the shower valve over about and inch.
Problem is it puts the valve closer to the cold pipe and farther away from the hot. There is also a T in the pipe to feed the sink in the master bath that backs up to this one. Normally I could lean the pipe to make up the distance, but because of the T in the pipe I only have less than a foot to play with. Do the two pipes on the side of the valve need to be the same length? If so how to make up the distance? Bend the pipes slightly?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't bend copper pipes.
You can cut them and resolder them.

Different length?
They are already different lengths, the hot making it's way by way of the water heater, the cold straight off the water meter.

Noizboy

Reaction score
I'm going to cut the old valve out and sweat in a new one. The problem is it's farther to the right now. The different size pipes I was talking about were the cold and hot inlet. I've always seen them to be symetrical.
I didn't think it would make any difference but I just wanted to ask. I'll just mount the valve to the 2x4 and pipe it to fit. By the way, does any one use water hammers in the shower anymore?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hammer arrestors on
dishwasher hot
icemaker cold
clothes washer hot and cold

if you have a closed system the requires water hammer arrestors.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Bending the tubing to "make it work" is a lazy and stupid practice...all it does is put stress on the tubing and/or joints...which you do not want.

Noizboy

Reaction score
My house was built in 84, apparently the builders wern't the most attentive people. They're the ones that bent/angles the pipes to meet their goals. I'm trying to undo it. It's amazing what you find when you take the drywall down. I couldn't figure out why the made makeshift water hammers/arrestors in the showers so out they come. Thanks for your help. It's the reassurance I needed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Occasionally, a shower valve manufacturer specifies hammer arresters on a shower valve, but it is rare. generically, they are not required. A capped riser pipe never worked well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks