shower faucet slowing the water flow (w video)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Eiddie, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Eiddie

Eiddie New Member

HI

Why is my shower faucet slowing the flow of the water after a few seconds?

I took a little 5 second video to show you what I mean - watch how it squeezes back in on it's own. Almost seems like it was designed to do that, but I can't imagine they would design the handle to actually give the customer a worse flow and crappy shower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnotjSKFy1c

What can be done?thanks!

[video=youtube;cnotjSKFy1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnotjSKFy1c[/video]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2011
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Some of the new Moen faucets will do that until they get a little dirty.
    I haven't installed one like that in twenty years. The new ones are all pressure balanced. Is it a new "repair" meaning new cartridge replacement?
    Do you you find an old non-code faucet at a big box store?
  3. Eiddie

Eiddie New Member

Thanks Terry for the reply, so what you're saying is that this will eventually go away after some use? I had a new moen kit (shower head, faucet, handles, trim ect) that I wanted to have put in, but the plumber who helped me said that would cost a bunch and require a lot of time opening the wall and he said he had a trim for that model in the van so all I'd need to do was put on a new handle. I'm not sure if he changed the cartridge. I can go back and look at the receipt, how much would a new cartridge cost roughly? The handle I got locally at the hardware store. Thanks again.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure he installed a new cartridge. Which gives me a warm feeling for him. You now have a "new" faucet, which will after a few days work the way it should.

If and when you want to open the wall a bit, then you can install one of the new pressure balanced faucets.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It also sounds like he put some silicon plumber's grease on it (which is good). You could wipe a little off.