shallow well loses prime and no pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

chefallen

Reaction score
I just moved into a house with a shallow well, after finally getting it primed and flowing; it doesn't put out much water. It can build enough pressure to turn off the pressure switch, but after 5 minutes loses pressure and switch kicks pump back on. If I turn it off it loses prime altogether. It's all old galvanized, I don't see a check valve but that doesn't explain the lack of continous pressure when the pump is running. any help?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
As far as loss of flow and pressure you could have a vacume leak in front of the pump or the well screen could be getting plugged up.

SAM

chefallen

Reaction score
snaking out old pipe

Some one suggested that the old galvanized might be closing up with rust; that would explain a slow build of pressure but not a loss of prime on a closed system

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Assuming the point id plugged,I would get yourself a hand pump,thread it to the top of the well,and see if you can redevelop it.

SAM

Ron in SC

Reaction score
It can build enough pressure to turn off the pressure switch, but after 5 minutes loses pressure and switch kicks pump back on. If I turn it off it loses prime altogether

I had that same problem on my 20 year old shallow well. I ended putting a new point down about 7' from the old one and I get water again. So far if I don't use it for a day or so it never loses pressure so the pump does not have to run. When I have used it does not lose prime either. I mounted the check valve right at the top of the well point after it makes a 90 degree turn. The run to the pump is about 12'.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You said it's a shallow well, do you think it's a driven well or a well that might be out in the yard? With no check vavle in plain sight, you might have a two inch well or larger with a drop pipe and a check vavle in the well on the end of the drop pipe. If that's the case, you will need a pro to change or acid treat that screen for you.

bob...