Screw-in shower/tub spout and a 1/2" copper tube problem

Users who are viewing this thread

SoniaP

Reaction score
Hello

We are having our shower stall re-tiled. We purchased a American Standard Cadet Shower Faucet kit. It includes the shower head, the valve, and the tub spout. Although there is no tub, we intend to use the spout in the shower.

The spout is a screw-on type. According to the kit's instructions, it screws on to a 1/2" NPT pipe.

We gave the kit to the plumber when he came to install it. He installed the valve. But he soldered a piece of 1/2" copper tube for the spout.

Now the re-tiling has been done, and the 1/2" copper tube sticks out of the wall, for the spout. Obviously, the spout doesn't even fit snugly on the copper tube, never mind screw on. (I think it's a 1/2" copper tube. A piece of 1/2" NPT pipe fits loosely over the copper tube.)

I am wondering whether the plumber made a mistake of not installing a 1/2" NPT pipe for the spout because he didn't bother to look at the spout in the box, or he had other ideas. Did he not install a 1/2" NPT pipe because he could not judge the needed length before the tiling was done? Did he have in mind an adapter with a thread that would fit over the 1/2" copper tube, upon which the spout would then be screwed onto? Do such adapters exist?

Thanks for your advice.

SoniaP

Reaction score
He solders on a 1/2" male adapter and spins the tub spout on.
I'm sure he looked at it. :)

Thanks Terry.

If he looked at the spout and saw that it was a screw-on type, why did he provide a 1/2" copper tube? So he can make a second trip to install the male adapter? Or, because, at the time, he couldn't judge the proper length of the necessary NPT pipe? Or did he give me the opportunity use either a screw-on or slip-on type of spout?

I'm thinking of finishing this myself, and all kinds of questions have come up.
Am I right in saying that the copper tube is a 1/2" tube? It fits semi-snugly into a piece of threaded pipe I have. I assume the pipe is 1/2" NPT because the shower head fits on it.
Are slip-on type of spouts more prevalent than screw-on types? Are slip-on types sized for 1/2" copper tube? Are there adapters that will let me slip-on the screw-on type of spout? Are there adapters that will let me screw-on a slip-on type of spout?
I'm thinking that I should slip on the screw-on spout rather than solder on a male adapter - in case I have to replace the spout later with a slip-on type.

What are these adapters called? (so I can search on google.)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are asking a lot of questions and making the decision a lot harder than it has to be. Buy a 1/2" solder male adapter. compute how long the copper tube has to be for your spout. cut the tubing. solder on the adapter. screw on the spout. I prefer doing it this way compared to using a slip on spout.There are LOTS of other ways to do it, if you don't like that way. IF you had a slip on spout and he installed a brass pipe for it, THEN you might have a more difficult problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can install any kind of spout you want there.
Threaded or slip.

In some ways, stubbing copper out allows a closer adjustment than using a pipe nipple that only comes in 1/2" increments.
I totally get what your plumber was thinking.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
SoniaP,

If this is all too confusing for you, have your plumber install the spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks