Sanitary Tee too low

Users who are viewing this thread

greysun

Reaction score
I have a 3" sanitary tee. Unfortunately the top of the tee is too low. about 1.5 inches below the finished floor. If I insert a 3" flange into the inside of the tee it only goes in about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I am afraid this is not enough. If I put a piece of 3" pvc inside the tee and then try and put a 3"-4" flange that goes on the outside of the 3" pvc the flange sticks up too high because the bottom of the flange meets the top of the tee.

I am kind of at a loss. This is a second floor bathroom so I am really hoping for a glued solution, or at the very least one of the repair flanges with the expandable gasket. The problem is I don't think they make a 3" flange with expandable gasket, probably because it would reduce the flow area down too much. The twist in replacement flanges make me very nervous. I am afraid that the first time I have to plunge water is going to blow by the gasket.

What I really need is a flange that has an outside diameter that is the same as 3" pvc so I can insert it directly into the tee, but is at least 1.5 inches longer than the standard flange.

Something else I was thinking about was buying one of the 3"-4" flanges that fits on the outside of the 3" pipe and cutting down the neck about an inch. but I think this would only leave about an inch of flange neck going over the PVC pipe.

Am I right to be afraid of the twist in replacement flanges?

Is there a 3" repair flange with the gasket that expands by tightening screws inside the flange? and if so would this cut down the flow too much?

If I cut down the neck of a 3"-4" flange about an inch would I still be safe?

Does anybody have any recommendations on the best way to handle this?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could use 3" pipe and an inside closet flange inside of the pipe.

Sioux Chief 888-ATM
3" inside pipe closet flange

sioux_chief_inside_fit.jpg

A modern toilet has an outlet of 2-1/2" or less.

Last edited:

greysun

Reaction score
Can you recommend one

You could use 3" pipe and an inside closet flange inside of the pipe.

sioux_chief_inside_fit.jpg

A modern toilet has an outlet of 2-1/2" or less.

Thank you so much for your help Terry. This makes me hopeful there is an easy/good solution without having to raise my vent pipe and rip my floor out(again) to get some extra height out of the tee or cut out the first layer of flooring and use a flange extender to fill the gap. Stacking spacers makes me nervous, although again its never failed

This is a perfect solution and exactly what I was looking for when I went shopping but it seems All of the 3" flanges I find at my local fixit stores fit inside the tee, not inside a 3" pipe, or they fit outside the 3" pipe. Can you recommend a specific one that will work I can order online or tell me exactly what I should be looking for? Unfortunately the descriptions I am finding online are vague and dont specify that it fits inside a 3" pvc pipe.

I see a lot that say they fit inside a cast iron pipe, as a replacement tee but I am not sure the inside diameter of 3" pvc and cast iron are the same.

I think I might have found the same flange you have pictured but I am not sure.

but again every inside fit 3" I have found at the fix it store actually fits inside the tee not inside a 3" pipe.

I also like that this one is metal, I cant tell you how many plastic flanges I have had crack because the persons toilet loosened up and wasnt supported properly and rocked on the flange. I just wish they would make the metal a bit thicker, so I would worry less lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sioux Chief 888-ATM
3" inside pipe closet flange

They have three kinds

Hub
spigot
inside pipe,

which you can pick up and see if it slides into a pipe. They look pretty small compared to the rest of them.
The ones I'm talking about are all solvent weld with ABS glue.

Last edited:

greysun

Reaction score
Thanks Again Terry. Glad I asked you, the type I linked above was Spigot not Inside Pipe.

I did find the one you mentioned above online. I tried all the ones at my local shops and none of them fit inside pipe. I am going to try again today and if I cant find one I will order online.

I am definitely not a plumber but I am learning the hard way. I am a Web Developer/Programmer, If I can ever help with any tech/web questions feel free to reach out. I would be glad to return the favor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks