Running new copper

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by georgegraz, Oct 9, 2005.

1. georgegraz

georgegraz New Member

Hi,
    I'm getting ready to switch my mother from Well water to City water. The outside work was done by a plumber, including where the water meter will go. I was told to use 3/4 inch, the thicker wall, "L" I think it was called. I'm going to go from water meter to Pump and tie in there, I will "T" ( and valve off) along the way for future drops to Hot water heater and boiler, etc. My question, when I do other tie ins, do I keep 3/4 inch to the actual item? What about sinks, bathtub/shower, and toilet?
    Thanks for the help.
    George
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

3. georgegraz

georgegraz New Member

Wow,
    Talk about a quick response. Thanks for the reply. Does this mean bring the 3/4 inch to the floor just below the fixture, then it is ok to reduce to 1/2 inch from there? Does the 1/2 Min mean it is tolerable, but not normally done? I won't be replacing the copper to individual fixtures at this time, but now is the time to either put in 3/4 inch T's or (3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2) inch T's
    Thanks
    George
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you have a one bath home, you could run 3/4" from the meter before you branch out.

If you have two or more bathrooms, you will need at least 1" pipe.
    The chart will let you know which fixtures take 1/2" pipe.
    Most plumbers will only plumb two or less fixtures on 1/2" pipe.
    For example, if you were plumbing a tub, toilet and lav, the hot would be 1/2" and the cold would be 3/4" and then branch out with 1/2".

Water heaters take 3/4" pipe, however if the home has many bathrooms, that could change too.