Need help buying the right size water-meter coupling for my meter and new check valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Blint

Reaction score
DIYer here. I want to install a Zurn backflow valve (3/4 FNPT) and need to buy a new coupling for the house side of the meter. The meter has "5/8" stamped into the bronze body on the mains side. I bought a meter coupling on eBay described so: 3/4" Lead Free Brass Water Meter coupling for 5/8 x 3/4. I assumed it would match the meter and the Zurn. It fits the Zurn valve OK but the ID of the female threaded coupling is 1- 3/16 inch, way too big for the meter. I assume they sent me the wrong item. Would that be for a 1 x 3/4?

On the house side, the male threads of the meter are almost but not quite a perfect match for a 3/4 FNPT copper adapter. I tried with such an adapter and it doesn't thread onto the meter very deeply, just a few turns.

The male threads on the Neptune 5/8 T-10 (3026 0823) meter measure 0.83 inches O.D.
I just spoke with customer service at Neptune, who asked me for the S/N on the unit and then checked and told me that the threads are NPSN 3 ⁄4” - 14” (Here's the product sheet: https://www.neptunetg.com/globalassets/products/literature/ps-t10-small-23-010383-07.23.pdf)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

GReynolds929

Reaction score
NPSM is straight thread, not tapered, not self sealing. Ford, AY Macdonald, and McMaster-Carr will definitely have those fittings.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your coupling is 1/2 x 3/4 from Ebay they shipped you the wrong stuff 1/2 inch pipe is .830 or so on the od and 3/4 is over an inch. if threads on meter check .830 youve got 1/2 inch threads 1.050 " its 3/4 1.312 is 1 inch pipe these are approxamate but we arent talking about a few thousands these are the only sizes you might be dealing with

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks