Running Gas Line to New Range

Users who are viewing this thread

Tacitus

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm in the middle of renovating my kitchen and part of the process will involve replacing the old electric range with a gas one (My Italian fiance will cook on nothing but gas). The wall where the range will butt up against has a gas line running right above it. The line used to run to a gas furnace, but the furnace was replaced with a heat pump sometime in the past before I bought the house and has been capped off.

My plan is to tap into the line running above the wall with a 90 fitting and run the line down the inside of the wall where it will hook to the new range. Before I pull a permit my questions are:

- When running the new pipe down the wall, are there any special hangers I need to attach the gas pipe to the stud, and what is the recommended spacing of the hangars/brackets?

- Is there any rules regarding proximity to electrical lines? If I drop the gas line down the inside of the wall, it will intersect an electrical line.

With all the help from my previous post on my bathroom renovation, I was able to pass the city inspection with flying colors, once again thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 422

David McCarley

Reaction score
Glad your bathroom inspections went well - but I would urge you to have a certified gas fitter perform the work you described. Most municipalities or inspection authorities will require a Master Gas Fitter certification to pull the permit before inspection takes place.

Tacitus

Reaction score
I had a gas contractor run the line. He used 3/4" corrugated stainless steel line run inside the wall. After some research however, I've heard that running CSST line inside a wall cavity is a no-go. Also the gas line is pretty close (several inches) to a electrical wire (not pictured). What do you guys think? I want to make sure I have this right before the inspector comes out. Thanks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a gas contractor run the line. He used 3/4" corrugated stainless steel line run inside the wall. After some research however, I've heard that running CSST line inside a wall cavity is a no-go. Also the gas line is pretty close (several inches) to a electrical wire (not pictured). What do you guys think? I want to make sure I have this right before the inspector comes out. Thanks.

In my city, corrugated flex gas connectors are limited to 3' in length. Check with your building dept or city inspector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks