Heat pump with gas furnace when power is out

Users who are viewing this thread

ChasB

Reaction score
I recently had a heat pump installed. My backup is a gas furnace which was all I had prior to the heat pump install. I used to run that furnace off of a generator during a power outage. I'm wondering if there is any potential problem with switching the system to Emergency mode and running the furnace off generator power during a power outage now that a heat pump is in the mix. Seems to me that it would be ok as I assume that is basically what would happen if/when we're on utility power and the heat pump is down, but I'm hoping to get some confirmation or warnings or "hell no" before I set this up. Thanks

Fitter30

Reaction score
Yes dual fuel heat pumps are ok to run. Just Google dual fuel hp several companies make them. Would a want a switch to kill house power when running the generator as to not back feed into the house.

ChasB

Reaction score
Yes dual fuel heat pumps are ok to run. Just Google dual fuel hp several companies make them. Would a want a switch to kill house power when running the generator as to not back feed into the house.
I don't want to run the heat pump during a power outage, just the gas furnace. I would cut the power to the heat pump, power the furnace with the generator and set the system/thermostat to Emergency mode, which as I understand it is heat from the furnace only. My only concern is getting heat during an outage. If there's an outage in warm weather, losing A/C from the heat pump is not a concern.

Fitter30

Reaction score
I don't want to run the heat pump during a power outage, just the gas furnace. I would cut the power to the heat pump, power the furnace with the generator and set the system/thermostat to Emergency mode, which as I understand it is heat from the furnace only. My only concern is getting heat during an outage. If there's an outage in warm
Gas furnace used as a air handler for heat pump? Or just sitting next to the hp air handler

Fitter30

Reaction score
This what i have using a peak 7k watt lp gen. Run well pump, some lights, hw heater, fridge, cook stove lp, heat lp stove, summer 5k window unit for bedroom might not at the same time but have been without for 9 days.
17126130351692325681186231597194.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks