Advice please on a utility sink install

Users who are viewing this thread

Pryme

Reaction score
Nobody has spoken good about the little cleanout on the bottom of the p-trap that I remember. A slip-joint trap just comes apart, and you can clean or replace it easily.

Those shielded couplings are OK for all of the codes I am familiar with. The WI code is its own, but I doubt that it differs on that.

For sure you would want to use those shielded couplers. Try to cut square. You can probably use the piece you cut out to make pieces to glue into the new sanitary tee. The couplings will connect those pieces to the uncut PVC pipe.
If I just go the slip p trap route which fitting will I need to run down to a 45 street that will come out of the San t in the 3” stack? Thank you.

Pryme

Reaction score
Taking a close look the coupling appears the incorrect band . Fernco 300022 2 inch 3005-33 3 inch 3005-44 4 inch.
inside the building are your fernco bands you want if you use mission branded couplings cp 200 p300 or p400 is what you need.
Thank you!! So is this the one to get?

Looks like Home Depot has a different brand same part number a little cheaper. I’ll get that I’m sure they are comparable?

Attachments

• IMG_6450.jpeg
    IMG_6450.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6451.jpeg
    IMG_6451.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Pryme

Reaction score
Should I go with this instead?

I’ll have to figure out which fitting will transition from this trap to a piece of 1.5” pvc though. Which adapter.

Attachments

• IMG_6453.jpeg
    IMG_6453.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 21

Pryme

Reaction score
I bought a faucet. Went with brass and really like I can easily connect a hose to it. Also I like the pex coming down the wall can connect right to the top of the faucet. And I can add the extension legs to give more height to the faucet. What do you guys think? Also these are the fittings I picked up to bring the pex into this faucet. Good?

Attachments

• IMG_6468.jpeg
    IMG_6468.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6469.jpeg
    IMG_6469.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 19

Reach4

Reaction score
You could run PVC pipe to a point, and put a trap adapter on the end of the pipe.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlot...r-with-Washer-P-Nut-PVC00104P0800HD/203390996 would go onto a 1-1/2 inch pipe. If you ran 2 inch pipe from the santee, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlot...male-Trap-Adapter-PVC-00104W-1000HD/205801116 would be the trap adapter.

The trap could be https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2-in-White-Plastic-Sink-Drain-P-Trap-HDC9704B/316622155

It is good to get the trap, and tailpiece. Play with where the trap can intercept the PVC pipe. The question is whether the pipe will be close enough to the trap input, or whether you will need another bend.

These white slip joint traps are not PVC, but polypropylene.

You would want a tailpiece from the sink that goes into a 1-1/2 inch slip joint.

Pryme

Reaction score
You could run PVC pipe to a point, and put a trap adapter on the end of the pipe.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlot...r-with-Washer-P-Nut-PVC00104P0800HD/203390996 would go onto a 1-1/2 inch pipe. If you ran 2 inch pipe from the santee, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlot...male-Trap-Adapter-PVC-00104W-1000HD/205801116 would be the trap adapter.

The trap could be https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2-in-White-Plastic-Sink-Drain-P-Trap-HDC9704B/316622155

It is good to get the trap, and tailpiece. Play with where the trap can intercept the PVC pipe. The question is whether the pipe will be close enough to the trap input, or whether you will need another bend.

These white slip joint traps are not PVC, but polypropylene.

You would want a tailpiece from the sink that goes into a 1-1/2 inch slip joint.
Hi Reach,

Yes that p trap you linked is the one I’ll go get. I already have a run of 1.5” pvc so everything will be 1.5” including the santee.

I am going to go get that slip p trap and proper fernco and I believe it will be ready to go.
I’ll attach a few pics of my fittings. I think I’ll just need to use santee to a 45 street to a piece of 1.5 pvc to another 45 street and that trap adapter to finally the slip P trap. I’ll also be grabbing that tail piece that comes down from sink drain it’s like 12” long I’ll have to cut.

Attachments

• IMG_6474.jpeg
    IMG_6474.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6475.jpeg
    IMG_6475.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6478.jpeg
    IMG_6478.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 27

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you!! So is this the one to get?

Looks like Home Depot has a different brand same part number a little cheaper. I’ll get that I’m sure they are comparable?
I think it might have same aproval, the tubular trap Reach 4 said better than what you had originaly. seems to be coming along!

Pryme

Reaction score
Ok guys the sink is in and working. But not without issue. So the good first.

All my pex crimped fittings are good. The T,s the quarter turn valves and elbows.
My pvc fittings and p trap are all good no leaks.

Now onto the issues.

I had to use the first fernco because it’s completely smooth on the inside and I was able to slip it up past my cut where as the smaller fernco has a seam ring in the center and I couldn’t slide it up past that even with soap and I didn’t want to try to really give it my all for fear of damaging the stack of connections up above.
The big fernco seems more stout and thick anyway though.

Now onto the main issue. I have a very tiny leak coming from each of the fittings that screw down into the faucet. I’m talking extremely tiny like takes 30min to drip a few times. See pic I’m pointing at the spot. It’s where the blue tape can be seen. I wrapped the threads 4 times.

I didn’t want to crank down super far as they seemed tight enough but apparently there is an issue. Any ideas? More tape than 4 turns? Dope instead?
I have to cut the crimp off to deal with those fittings though but what am I doing wrong here?

Thank you guys your advice has helped.

Attachments

• IMG_6496.jpeg
    IMG_6496.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6495.jpeg
    IMG_6495.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6493.jpeg
    IMG_6493.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6494.jpeg
    IMG_6494.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 24

Reach4

Reaction score
Pipe dope and tape both make leaks less likely. At this point, try giving the fitting 1/4 or 1/2 turn more. Also, before putting the pex onto the fitting, consider letting the joint sit for a bit. Then come back and tighten some more. Getting the torque on the fittings is easier with longer wrenches.

Some PTFE tape is thinner and less dense than others. The better ones will sink in water after you get any air bubbles off, and the cheapest will float. The yellow tape has minimum density requirements, and it is a also suitable for potable water-- not just gas. Some may disagree on that point.

Your PEX stainless steel things are called cinch clamps. The copper rings get crimped on. The clamps are easier to remove than crimp.

Pryme

Reaction score
Pipe dope and tape both make leaks less likely. At this point, try giving the fitting 1/4 or 1/2 turn more. Also, before putting the pex onto the fitting, consider letting the joint sit for a bit. Then come back and tighten some more. Getting the torque on the fittings is easier with longer wrenches.

Some PTFE tape is thinner and less dense than others. The better ones will sink in water after you get any air bubbles off, and the cheapest will float. The yellow tape has minimum density requirements, and it is a also suitable for potable water-- not just gas. Some may disagree on that point.

Your PEX stainless steel things are called cinch clamps. The copper rings get crimped on. The clamps are easier to remove than crimp.
Would more than 4 wraps be beneficial or how about using dope with wrap?

I turned that fitting in with a big crescent wrench. It almost seemed like it stopped going further in? That large nut below the pex/male adapter fitting holds down a brass sleeve with a small rubber o ring on the bottom.

I can tighten it more as the pex can rotate with a bit of force but once I remove the fitting I have to cut the pex and start over. Also once these little clamps get removed the pex is still too tight to pull off the fitting I had to cut an inch off and razor blade the piece off the nipple. The tool I bought can put them on and cut them off thankfully.

So I’ll try tightening down more but not f that doesn’t stop this really slow leak I’ll have to cut it and start over.
If there is a best tape to use I’ll go buy it? I have some light blue stuff with like a monkey on the roll? I also have the pipe dope compound

Reach4

Reaction score
Once the clamp is off, a hair dryer heating the pipe should make it wiggle off better.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-valve-with-ips-threading.101522/#post-730738 Terry suggested dope over the tape.

I have seen people suggest as many as 7 wraps if using thin tape.

When screwing in the fittings, I would suggest that you use two wrenches. A big pipe wrench can hold the housing and provide a counter force for rotating the fitting in.

You might try an extra 1/4 or 1/2 turn on what you have. I am not a plumber.

Pryme

Reaction score
I will try tomorrow morning to give it a bit more and see how it goes. If not I’ll pull them and try the hair dryer trick to pull the pex off. I’d imagine it’s best to cut half inch off the end anyway since it does deform a bit from the clamp.
The tape I have actually is called mini monster and seems extremely thin so maybe I need more than four turns. I’m also going to put some of this dope I have over the tape.

I just noticed when I zoomed in on the pic it says minimum 3 wraps required. I’ll have to wrap it 6-7 maybe. It’s thin

Attachments

• IMG_6499.jpeg
    IMG_6499.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 21

Pryme

Reaction score
Here is what the faucet looks like.then the pex fitting screws into the top.

Attachments

• IMG_6500.jpeg
    IMG_6500.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 20

Reach4

Reaction score
So those things with the o-rings, under the nuts have female threads. I wonder if there is a problem with those things resisting the torque as you tighten the PEX adapter.

Pryme

Reaction score
So those things with the o-rings, under the nuts have female threads. I wonder if there is a problem with those things resisting the torque as you tighten the PEX adapter.
They don’t seem to. So I put a very light coat of the tfe paste on the threads then 5 wraps of tape then more paste and ran those things way down. Now I’m just going to let them sit until tomorrow before putting the pex back on and throwing water at it. Here are more pics

Attachments

• IMG_6503.jpeg
    IMG_6503.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6504.jpeg
    IMG_6504.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6505.jpeg
    IMG_6505.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6506.jpeg
    IMG_6506.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6507.jpeg
    IMG_6507.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume the sitting will be followed by a re-tightening.

Pryme

Reaction score
I presume the sitting will be followed by a re-tightening.
Well it’s extremely tight now so it should be good to connect the pex and turn it on. I will be doing that after breakfast and some coffee. It’s tighter than before with more tape and the added paste. If it’s not good now it won’t be.

I want to use this faucet because with these direct water connections it has a very high flow rate of 4gpm and also has the built in garden hose adapter both things will be very nice for filling and maintaining big aquariums

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lopoks really good ! Personally I dont think that band is an issue except that its not aprooved but seen them by the dozens in such fasion Looks real clean you took time and probebly got it done than paying someone . I think you got this!

Reach4

Reaction score
Well it’s extremely tight now so it should be good to connect the pex and turn it on. I will be doing that after breakfast and some coffee. It’s tighter than before with more tape and the added paste. If it’s not good now it won’t be.
I was thinking there might have been a little flow of tape/paste overnight, and things might have relaxed enough to give you an extra 1/8 turn with the same wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks