Rigid or Flexible Braided Connections?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by The Perfectionist, Sep 2, 2009.

1. The Perfectionist

The Perfectionist New Member

I have always understood the new braided connections are the way to go. Recently a respected plumbing company has indicated their preference to use ridged, further will not warrantee or guarantee flexible connections.

Any thoughts, we sure could use some advice.
  2. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

If you are talking about toilet supply lines, then rigid ones are more work than braided flexible stainless steel (over rubber pipe) but if done properly can look much nicer and last just as long.

I wouldn't worry. If someone wanted to fit a nice shiney chrome-plated one for me, I'd chuck my cheap brass-braided line out of the window without a second thought.

Part of me misses a beautifully shaped chrome supply line.

And there are some braided supply lines which are not even metal braids (the Orange Big Box store sells them). I'd avoid those.

See what pipe they intend on using and if it is pretty.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Many faucets now come with braided supplies right on the faucet.

We've been using good quality braides supplies,
    Not the Watts Floodsafe though, those are junk.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Just like in Europe!
  5. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

Glad to hear it's not just me. I tried a set with those checks a year ago and they had just the problem I feared: they were too sensitive. I've also had trouble with the standard Watts braided lines for the washer. One started leaking the first time I removed and reattached it. The old black rubber hoses lasted 18 years and many moves before I decided to replace them... one was beginning to bulge. The Watts lasted less than a year.

I like braided lines for convenience, but the only major plumbing failure I've had came from some damage to one of those during a faucet changeout. It got some twist in the braiding and I should have known better than to trust it, but I was tired of making unanticipated parts runs that day. Blew out that night and I awoke to several thousand gallons of water in the house. Oh, yeah, that was fun... :eek:
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

While there is nothing wrong with a the solid tubing supply line, it is somewhat more difficult to fit. That isn't your problem if the plumber wishes to install it. Otherwise, the flex tubing with the stainless steel braiding is very good. You must have an old school plumber that isn't about to make changes.:D