rerouting 2" galvanized steel vent pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

NSB00

Reaction score
I opened up a bathroom wall so that I could reroute a vent pipe that obstructs a cold air return channel.

There are 3 inputs to this pipe: 2" from toilet in this bathroom, 1-1/2" from basement laundry tub, 1-1/2" from basement bathroom sink rough-in (never installed).

My plan is to shorten the galvanized steel 2" vent pipe so that it can run horizontally within the soffit space rather than horizontally within the wall. The new horizontal pipe section will be PVC. The branches that connect to the vent pipe will be extended upward using PVC.

I understand that I will need to anchor the 2" vent pipe with riser clamps before cutting so that the pipe doesn't drop out of the roof. Since this bathroom is on the main floor and it's a 2-story house, one clamp will be added in the attic and one clamp will be added on the floor immediately above this bath.

I don't see any good easy way to cut the pipe to get a square cut. It's going to be a little awkward working in that space. I guess my best options are a reciprocating saw or a hacksaw with fresh blades and work slowly.

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks

vent pipe in cold air return.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A sawzall will make good work of it. Just make sure you have a new blade or two, and make sure the cut doesn't walk.
You might want to "marker" the line you are hoping to make first.
A Lennox 618 would be a good blade.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
That be some nice old school DWV there. Kinda brings a tear to my eyes to see it go.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The new mechanical code won't allow dwv pipes in a cold air duct or chase anymore.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The new mechanical code won't allow dwv pipes in a cold air duct or chase anymore

That would make sense for plastic DWV piping, the same as for cabling, because of fire and toxic smoke, but NOT for metallic piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks