Question about venting underground fixtures for a new basement full bath

Users who are viewing this thread

njosh30

Reaction score
I live in a 2-story single family house in Wisconsin that has a full basement below grade. I am adding a new full bath in the basement and there was no rough-in done earlier. There are two 3” drain stacks that come down into the basement from the upper floors. Notice in the picture below, the locations highlighted for the two 3” drain stacks (#1 and #2), vent stack (#3), new wet bar sink (#4) and the cleanout plug (#5) in the floor from where the building drain must be exiting the house to connect to the city sewer outside –

Basement Bath Venting Question Image #1.png

The location of the new bathroom in the basement is right under the ½ bath on the first floor. Notice that there is a 3” drain stack (#2) right next to the location of the new bathroom. Before digging the concrete floor, I was thinking of connecting the new bathroom fixture drains to that drain stack. After digging and seeing how the drain pipes are laid out, it is clear that the #2 3” drain stack turns quickly away from the new bathroom location and heads toward the building drain not leaving much height to connect the new bathroom fixtures. However, the 3” drain stack coming from the back wall (#1) is passing right under the new bathroom location. The vent stack (#3 with blue highlight) goes under the concrete floor, turns horizontal and connects to the 3” drain pipe (#1) coming from the back wall.

Basement bathroom picture drain and vent pipes.png

Now I am thinking that I might be able to connect the new bathroom fixtures as well as the wet bar sink to #1 3” drain pipe instead of #2 drain stack. The question is what is the best way to vent these fixtures. Given that the vent pipe (#3) is connecting to the drain pipe #1 right under the floor of the new bathroom location, can all the new bathroom fixtures and the wet bar sink be “wet vented” by the #1 drain pipe? Or do they need to be vented separately because the dry vent pipe #3 has already gone horizontal under the new bathroom fixtures’ flood level rim?

Here is the view from the side (behind the bathroom sink) showing relative location of the new bathroom fixtures, the wet bar sink (across the stairs), the vent pipe #3 and drain pipe # 1–

Basement bathroom picture fixture locations.png

Here is some information about the existing drainage load on the two 3” drain stacks –

3” Drain stack #11st floor kitchen, 2nd floor full bath11 DFU’s
3” Drain stack #21st floor ½ bath, 1st floor washing machine, 2nd floor full bath17 DFU’s

Total new DFU’s to be added by the full bath and the wet bar sink = 9

Here are the distances from the new basement fixtures to the existing drain pipe #1 –

Bathroom Shower30”
Bathroom Toilet45”
Bathroom Sink6’
Wet Bar Sink9’

Here is a close-up of how the dry vent #3 connects to drain pipe #1 –
Basement bathroom picture vent pipe connecting to drain pipe.png

Attachments

• 1698601492771.png
    1698601492771.png
    677 bytes · Views: 71

KSdoit

Reaction score
Can you please clarify this statement: "Given that the vent pipe (#3) is connecting to the drain pipe #1 right under the floor of the new bathroom location, can all the new bathroom fixtures and the wet bar sink be “wet vented” by the #1 drain pipe? Or do they need to be vented separately because the dry vent pipe #3 has already gone horizontal under the new bathroom fixtures’ flood level rim?"

To clarify are you saying that "vent pipe (#3)" is a 100% dry vent (in other words, no upstairs faucets of any kind are connected to it)? Is it possible its actually a waste drain?

KSdoit

Reaction score
Also, https://up.codes/copilot has helped me greatly as I am not a professional plumber but an expert diyer. The fee based service and especially the fee based AI engine allows me to ask questions (like I would phrase them) and get answers I am looking for to be complaint with the codes for my area.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
WTH? number 3 is a dry vent for what ? no dry vents allowed below the floor and what fixture is it for .
pipe 1 is deep eough . add a floor drain for the w/h area

njosh30

Reaction score
In the second picture above (not counting the floor plan design), you can see the vent pipe #3 (blue color) coming down from the upper floor and going under the basement floor. I do not know which fixtures it might be venting on the upper floors, if any. But I have tested all the bathroom, kitchen, washing machine fixtures on the first and second floor, and I cannot not feel/hear anything draining through pipe #3. All draining is happening either through pipe #1 or pipe #2. Pipe #3 seems like a dry vent, but I am not sure why it connects to drain pipe #1 the way it does under the floor (as shown in picture #3 above).

The way pipe #3 connects to pipe #1 under the floor, can any conclusions be drawn about what pipe #3's function might be?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont see a use for blue number3 but that dosent mean anything its just not clear which way does number 1 slope? toward water heater and the othe stack way ove on other side? maybe there is a floor drain over near water heater ?

njosh30

Reaction score
Please look at the floor plan design. Both #1 and #2 are going in the direction of #5 which is the building drain.

#1 slopes downward from the West wall to the East wall (East and North are marked on the floor plan design). It turns 90" after coming from the back side (West wall) and passes right under #2. They probably connect some where downstream to each other and then eventually connect to #5 location.

#1 carries one of the 2nd floor full baths and kitchen sink, while #2 carries the other 2nd floor full bath, 1st floor 1/2 bath and washing machine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
number 3 can only be some sort of illegal way to vent a shower or floor drain in the basement maybe if you cant see a drain of any kind I wouldnt know of a use at all

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks