Replacing Screw in to Slip on Tub Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Rfeigels

Reaction score
I thought this would be an easy task but I can't quite get this to work. I have two approaches.

1) As you can see from the photo, the old corroded pipe came out with the spout as it was practically welded to the spout with corrosion. So I got a new pipe, installed it, then removed the insert from the new spout and just screwed it on. Seems to work, but there's a dripping from the base of the spout when the shower is on...so some water is backflowing somehow.

2) In the second photo I have used a 1/2 to 1/4 reducer and a 1/4 pipe to slip on the new spout. Once tightened, everything looks great. Except when the shower is running there is a lot of back flow coming out of the base of the spout at the wall.

I'm happy with either option...just can't figure out how to keep the water where I want it! I appreciate any help!

IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0721.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you want to use the slip spout, solder a 1/2" male adapter onto copper pipe, thread that in, and then slip the spout on.
I don't see it working well with a brass nipple.
When I use copper pipe with a male adapter soldered on, I have it long, thread it on the end, and then cut it to the length you need. The part with the pliers on it gets tossed.

Rfeigels

Reaction score
If you want to use the slip spout, solder a 1/2" male adapter onto copper pipe, thread that in, and then slip the spout on.
I don't see it working well with a brass nipple.
When I use copper pipe with a male adapter soldered on, I have it long, thread it on the end, and then cut it to the length you need. The part with the pliers on it gets tossed.

Thank you! What about using it as a screw on and getting rid of the dripping?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks