Replacing pump in shallow well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by examan2k2, Jun 9, 2014.

1. examan2k2

examan2k2 New Member

I have an old Sears 1/2hp convertible jet pump with 20 gallon pressure tank. It is connected to a hand dug 30ft deep 36" diameter well. The depth of water is about 16ft from the bottom of the well. The pump just went out a couple of days ago lucky we don't live there yet well be moving in in about a month and am looking for suggestions on a replacement pump and tank system. Should I replace with jet pump or submersible? Also I have been looking at installing constant pressure valve seems like a good idea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I always prefer a submersible if the casing is large enough. A Pside-Kick kit would work great with either the jet or the sub.
  3. examan2k2

examan2k2 New Member

Ok I was leaning towards a submersible, does it just hang from the pipe or is there some additional mounting required since the diameter is too large to use a torque arrestor? I was also going to install a pitless adapter in case I need to pull the pump for any reason in the future. Also I'm not exactly sure what size pump to get or which brands to avoid, I have a family of 5 with 2 bathrooms, washing machine, and dishwasher.
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

A 1/2HP, 10 GPM sub will pump a lot more than a 1/2HP jet pump. Yes it just hangs from the pitless adapter on the pipe. Lot of brands of 1/2HP, 10 GPM subs to choose from. Probably not a nickels worth of difference between most of them. A CSV takes out a lot of abuse so even a cheap pump will last longer.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

You could saddle a 20 foot section of 4" PVC to the side of the well below the pitless and drop the pump in it. It would act as a flow inducer to cool the motor
    Alternately you could sleeve it in a 4" PCV pipe and strap it to a trio of them laid on the bottom. Valveman has posted a pic of it a few times.
  6. examan2k2

examan2k2 New Member

Sounds like a good idea I'll browse around and see if I can find those pictures.
  7. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

8. examan2k2

examan2k2 New Member