Replacing pump in shallow well

Users who are viewing this thread

examan2k2

Reaction score
I have an old Sears 1/2hp convertible jet pump with 20 gallon pressure tank. It is connected to a hand dug 30ft deep 36" diameter well. The depth of water is about 16ft from the bottom of the well. The pump just went out a couple of days ago lucky we don't live there yet well be moving in in about a month and am looking for suggestions on a replacement pump and tank system. Should I replace with jet pump or submersible? Also I have been looking at installing constant pressure valve seems like a good idea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

examan2k2

Reaction score
Ok I was leaning towards a submersible, does it just hang from the pipe or is there some additional mounting required since the diameter is too large to use a torque arrestor? I was also going to install a pitless adapter in case I need to pull the pump for any reason in the future. Also I'm not exactly sure what size pump to get or which brands to avoid, I have a family of 5 with 2 bathrooms, washing machine, and dishwasher.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 1/2HP, 10 GPM sub will pump a lot more than a 1/2HP jet pump. Yes it just hangs from the pitless adapter on the pipe. Lot of brands of 1/2HP, 10 GPM subs to choose from. Probably not a nickels worth of difference between most of them. A CSV takes out a lot of abuse so even a cheap pump will last longer.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ok I was leaning towards a submersible, does it just hang from the pipe or is there some additional mounting required since the diameter is too large to use a torque arrestor?

You could saddle a 20 foot section of 4" PVC to the side of the well below the pitless and drop the pump in it. It would act as a flow inducer to cool the motor
Alternately you could sleeve it in a 4" PCV pipe and strap it to a trio of them laid on the bottom. Valveman has posted a pic of it a few times.

examan2k2

Reaction score
You could saddle a 20 foot section of 4" PVC to the side of the well below the pitless and drop the pump in it. It would act as a flow inducer to cool the motor
Alternately you could sleeve it in a 4" PCV pipe and strap it to a trio of them laid on the bottom. Valveman has posted a pic of it a few times.

Sounds like a good idea I'll browse around and see if I can find those pictures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks