Replacing bad shower drain fittings with new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes I come across a job that has been hacked in with the wrong parts.
A Fernco coupling without the metal wrap is not allowed, and p-traps with unions are not allowed.
This shower drain was leaking, so it all had to come out.

moorthy_01.jpg

You can see the water spoting on the p-trap.

moorthy_02.jpg

I've never seen this before. The handyman put one end over the hub of the p-trap and the other end over the pipe. That would be very strange to try to run a snake through.

moorthy_03.jpg

What is the white cauling up on the drain fitting? I'm not liking that either.

moorthy_04.jpg

Please don't anybody use these parts again. Non of this is right.

moorthy_05.jpg

Cut that entire mess out and start over. We installed a Sioux Chief JackRabbit shower drain.

moorthy_06.jpg

And this p-trap is solvent weld. It glues up instead of using a union that can leak, and the Fernco has been replaced with a glue on coupling. Now it holds water. :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Great Post Terry.

I think you would help more people if you spend more time on the file names of you photos. The photo names and subject matter don't jive.

And without a dialogue this info will be surely buried under a thousand other posts.

Should this info go into the resource section some how?

Or a link list from there to here?

So you mentioned that a non jacket no hub fitting is a no no. What about fire blocking? Did you have to fill in that section under the tub?

Our inspectors are tougher on Multi Family housing or homes not equipped with a sprinkler system.

jackrabbit-14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks